• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

tax avoidance letter from HMRC Early intervention team

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hitchhikar View Post
    I am going to reply to HMRC and will send them my 4 payslips and P45 from Umbrellaworx and ask for further guidance from HMRC.
    Do the payslips include the "second component"? If not, you should include the amounts in your covering letter.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Do the payslips include the "second component"? If not, you should include the amounts in your covering letter.
      HMRC will have:-

The agency payments from agency reporting regulations
      What umbrellaworx reported to them via RTI

The latter will be accessible from your HRMC Personal tax account.

The difference that you need to report and pay will be the NI (sadly including employers NI) and income tax on the amount that wasn't reported to HMRC which you can work out as:-

The assignment fee the agency paid UmbrellaWorx - £100 (umbrella fee) less the amount HMRC have been told about.

merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Ok makes sense.

Actually, I have one more worry. After I left UmbrellaWorx, I received 2 calls from HMRC scammsters threatening to issue a warrant and guaranteed arrest if I do not pay up some amount. The first call got me panicked. But after I caught my breath, I knew that that was a scam call.

Now, my doubt is about the authenticity of this letter. I am around 10% sure this is a phishing letter. I could not find any example of such letter on google.

The letter is sent by (nothing in google search)
        C and P Early Intervention Team
        on behalf of XXX YYY, HM Inspector of Taxes
        I could not even find/validate the email id which the letter suggested me to reply to.
        Phishing emails have been sent from "hmrc.gov.uk" domain as confirmed via following link:
        https://assets.publishing.service.go...oc_sept_15.pdf

Could anyone take few minutes out and confirm/negate my doubts please?
        Last edited by hitchhikar; 1 June 2021, 11:04.

Comment

Ok makes sense.

Actually, I have one more worry. After I left UmbrellaWorx, I received 2 calls from HMRC scammsters threatening to issue a warrant and guaranteed arrest if I do not pay up some amount. The first call got me panicked. But after I caught my breath, I knew that that was a scam call.

Now, my doubt is about the authenticity of this letter. I am around 10% sure this is a phishing letter. I could not find any example of such letter on google.

I could not even find/validate the email id which the letter suggested me to reply to.

Phishing emails have been sent from "hmrc.gov.uk" domain as confirmed via following link:

That document is from September 2015 - so it's over 5 years out of date.

HMRC have got in progress a set of early (well 6-12 months too late but immediate when you consider HMRCs default time frames of years) warnings for people who have used dodgy umbrella firms so I think it's all above board.

But as I've already stated - it is your responsibility to pay the tax owed and I've provided the means above to allow you to double check what is owing.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Yes. the payslips lists:
            1. gross pay - this is calc with basic min wage and is taxed/NI
            2. business income - no information on this. This is what got me suspicious when I tried to work out my payslips initially.

Comment

I'm not saying it couldn't happen but I've never heard of scammers sending fake HMRC letters in the post.

HMRC letters usually contain your UTR and/or NI number. Also, there should be an address and phone number, which you could check to see if they're genuine.
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Ok makes sense.

Given the information you have it is simple to call HMRC and ask if this particular named person exists. And if he/she does exist, is this what he/she does for HMRC. I could be wrong, but I suspect this has come from the Manchester/Salford offices. You will know for certain then if that is a scam of some kind.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

HMRC letters usually contain your UTR and/or NI number. Also, there should be an address and phone number, which you could check to see if they're genuine.
                  First, thank you for all for you advice. I have decided to send my reply to the email id provided in the letter. I will not disclose any extra information in my first reply and see if the source sounds genuine. Ultimately, it will come down to mode of payment they want to use to repay my dues if any.

My doubt is that when I check the link I provided on my previous post, some emails are listed with hmrc.gov.uk domain which the scammers used to send phishing email. So obviously they look genuine but are scammers id.
                  When I searched the email id provided in the letter on google, I did not get even 1 hit. Thats is very unusual which raised my suspicions.
                  Neither did "C and P Early Intervention Team" return any results.

Comment

First, thank you for all for you advice. I have decided to send my reply to the email id provided in the letter. I will not disclose any extra information in my first reply and see if the source sounds genuine. Ultimately, it will come down to mode of payment they want to use to repay my dues if any.

My doubt is that when I check the link I provided on my previous post, some emails are listed with hmrc.gov.uk domain which the scammers used to send phishing email. So obviously they look genuine but are scammers id.
                    When I searched the email id provided in the letter on google, I did not get even 1 hit. Thats is very unusual which raised my suspicions.
                    Neither did "C and P Early Intervention Team" return any results.
                    Refer my previous comment. It's very easy to validate this.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Hi,
                      I received the letter and it was genuine letter from HMRC, the best way to validate is to call HMRC rather than trying to assume the validity of the letter. Ask for the team name on the letter and they will request for the case number to confirm. It is the way HMRC is cracking down on the DA payments made by the Umbrella companies under the blanket.
                      I prepared the detailed and honest response back to HMRC, If I get a response back to pay any unpaid taxes and as long as it is valid I am prepared to pay, if not use one of the tax advisors to challenge.
                      Hope you find it helpful.
                      Regards.

Comment

Working...
                      X