• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to begin?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to begin?

Ive had a letter from HMRC about possible tax avoidance and asking me to forward everything I have from my Umbrella. i have been using my umbrella company since May, so I'm looking at a few months out of this tax year.

I've been completely naive about this situation so just want to get everything reassessed and look at my payment options

In the meantime, I'm not sure whether to just sign for another umbrella, so at least the period under scrutiny is limited or wait to hear back from HMRC. Should I even tell the umbrella in question? either way, Im the ones that's liable for any shortfall :shrug

Originally posted by YinYang View Post
    Ive had a letter from HMRC about possible tax avoidance and asking me to forward everything I have from my Umbrella. i have been using my umbrella company since May, so I'm looking at a few months out of this tax year.

I've been completely naive about this situation so just want to get everything reassessed and look at my payment options

In the meantime, I'm not sure whether to just sign for another umbrella, so at least the period under scrutiny is limited or wait to hear back from HMRC. Should I even tell the umbrella in question? either way, Im the ones that's liable for any shortfall :shrug
    If you have only been using this Umbrella, since May, what is their name? There are well regarded Umbrellas, and there are those who hold themselves as bona-fide Umbrellas, but who are more dodgy than a £3 note.
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
      If you have only been using this Umbrella, since May, what is their name? There are well regarded Umbrellas, and there are those who hold themselves as bona-fide Umbrellas, but who are more dodgy than a £3 note.
      Umbrella requirements/Integra

Comment

And yes I would tell them because you’re going to need to find a new proper umbrella like Clarity or Paystream.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Umbrella requirements/Integra
          So here is a new line to watch out for folks

Compliance with HMRC guidance, IR35, S660, and MSC legislation

What that site doesn't mention is National insurance and PAYE....
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Is Parasol still regarded as reputable? I found them quite organised but I had to move away from them because one agency wouldn't
            approve them.

Comment

Is Parasol still regarded as reputable? I found them quite organised but I had to move away from them because one agency wouldn't
              approve them.
              Check if they're on the FSCA website

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Check if they're on the FSCA website
                so, yes then?

Parasol and ClearSky membership of FCSA • FCSA FCSA

sorry if this elementary but I don't trust my judgment at the mo

Comment

Where to begin?

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  So here is a new line to watch out for folks

Compliance with HMRC guidance, IR35, S660, and MSC legislation

What that site doesn't mention is National insurance and PAYE....
                  I feel a sticky coming on... (I’ll write it tomorrow)
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'll repeat a post I put up some months ago.

We did an exercise in which several umbrellas were presented with the same core facts and asked for a quote.

The percentage take home from each was different and all of them made assumptions about take up of expenses and salary sacrifice arrangements that may not actually be achievable.

All of the quotes made a hash of dealing with employer NIC, assuming that this was due from the first £.

Three of the four we contacted were FCSA members.

I'm not saying that the quotes were wrong. I am saying that the assumptions made were designed to present a "best possible" scenario and that this will not always be possible.

I'm well aware that umbrellas are engaged in a race to the top of the "take home" tables, but whichever umbrella you choose, please - please - seriously please - check the assumptions made and whether there are any tax charges/NIC charges that will pop up after the year end or whether expense levels are at the HMRC enquiry trigger level.

My personal bright line threshold for HMRC enquiry would be if the take home for any gig at more than an annualised £50,000 or more was above 70%.

If I were an HMRC risk assessor, that's where I would begin.

Read the small print. If you don't understand it - ask. If you are given an answer - get it in writing. If you still don't understand it - don't do it.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                    X