• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Where to begin?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Where to begin?"

Collapse

• jbryce
    replied
    I rather like the approach that some Umbrella's take which is to give a quote based on working 52 weeks per year...

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    I'll repeat a post I put up some months ago.

We did an exercise in which several umbrellas were presented with the same core facts and asked for a quote.

The percentage take home from each was different and all of them made assumptions about take up of expenses and salary sacrifice arrangements that may not actually be achievable.

All of the quotes made a hash of dealing with employer NIC, assuming that this was due from the first £.

Three of the four we contacted were FCSA members.

I'm not saying that the quotes were wrong. I am saying that the assumptions made were designed to present a "best possible" scenario and that this will not always be possible.

I'm well aware that umbrellas are engaged in a race to the top of the "take home" tables, but whichever umbrella you choose, please - please - seriously please - check the assumptions made and whether there are any tax charges/NIC charges that will pop up after the year end or whether expense levels are at the HMRC enquiry trigger level.

My personal bright line threshold for HMRC enquiry would be if the take home for any gig at more than an annualised £50,000 or more was above 70%.

If I were an HMRC risk assessor, that's where I would begin.

Read the small print. If you don't understand it - ask. If you are given an answer - get it in writing. If you still don't understand it - don't do it.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Where to begin?

Originally posted by eek View Post
    So here is a new line to watch out for folks

Compliance with HMRC guidance, IR35, S660, and MSC legislation

What that site doesn't mention is National insurance and PAYE....
    I feel a sticky coming on... (I’ll write it tomorrow)

Leave a comment:

• YinYang
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Check if they're on the FSCA website
    so, yes then?

Parasol and ClearSky membership of FCSA • FCSA FCSA

sorry if this elementary but I don't trust my judgment at the mo

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by YinYang View Post
    Is Parasol still regarded as reputable? I found them quite organised but I had to move away from them because one agency wouldn't
    approve them.
    Check if they're on the FSCA website

Leave a comment:

• YinYang
    replied
    Is Parasol still regarded as reputable? I found them quite organised but I had to move away from them because one agency wouldn't
    approve them.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Umbrella requirements/Integra
    So here is a new line to watch out for folks

Compliance with HMRC guidance, IR35, S660, and MSC legislation

What that site doesn't mention is National insurance and PAYE....

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    And yes I would tell them because you’re going to need to find a new proper umbrella like Clarity or Paystream.

Leave a comment:

• YinYang
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    If you have only been using this Umbrella, since May, what is their name? There are well regarded Umbrellas, and there are those who hold themselves as bona-fide Umbrellas, but who are more dodgy than a £3 note.
    Umbrella requirements/Integra

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Ive had a letter from HMRC about possible tax avoidance and asking me to forward everything I have from my Umbrella. i have been using my umbrella company since May, so I'm looking at a few months out of this tax year.

I've been completely naive about this situation so just want to get everything reassessed and look at my payment options

In the meantime, I'm not sure whether to just sign for another umbrella, so at least the period under scrutiny is limited or wait to hear back from HMRC. Should I even tell the umbrella in question? either way, Im the ones that's liable for any shortfall :shrug
    If you have only been using this Umbrella, since May, what is their name? There are well regarded Umbrellas, and there are those who hold themselves as bona-fide Umbrellas, but who are more dodgy than a £3 note.

Leave a comment:

• YinYang
    started a topic Where to begin?

Where to begin?

Ive had a letter from HMRC about possible tax avoidance and asking me to forward everything I have from my Umbrella. i have been using my umbrella company since May, so I'm looking at a few months out of this tax year.

I've been completely naive about this situation so just want to get everything reassessed and look at my payment options

In the meantime, I'm not sure whether to just sign for another umbrella, so at least the period under scrutiny is limited or wait to hear back from HMRC. Should I even tell the umbrella in question? either way, Im the ones that's liable for any shortfall :shrug

Working...
X