• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Phil Manley question and answer session

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WalterWhite View Post
    How did you end up promoting a solution to the loan charge?
    I didn't, I was asked if I would consider a solution (which I did) and offer opinion on if it worked (I felt it did).
    Its prob relevant to note the following

1. I was not the person who devised the scheme.
    2.I was not a shareholder or director of insella
    3.I do not make, nor will ever make a single penny of profit from insella or the scheme. This is not clever careful wording, it is simply factual. I did not charge fees for considering the scheme. In layman terms, it provides zero benefit to my financial situation whatsoever under any circumstance. There are no payments to me directly or indirectly. There is no financial gain.

What are the chances (%) of success in your opinion?
    Its impossible to provide a %. I believe its better than anything else that was out there. That is all.

Do you feel any other "schemes to fix a scheme work?
    If yes, did you ever suggest them to your clients, or just your own?
    It wasn't my own as explained above. However, its a fair query so, I think there a few others which have elements of reasonableness to them. Even the one which creates most abuse (vanquish) has logic behind it. Do I think it (vanquish) will work? probably not - though its based on EU treaties and there is a precedent (fisher v HMRC) but I don't think it will work on its own - but its not awful. Just that in this day and age its an uphill battle to say the least so that's why I didn't nor wouldn't offer it to anyone I know. There are a few which ive seen which are quite frankly a scam.
    I would add btw that afaik there is no actual definition of a scheme. Its basically any interpretation or planning that differs from HMRC. Therefore this includes any thoughts or suggestions that HMRC are interpreting legislation incorrectly. It does not matter whether its called a scheme or not. Its the same. Think about this people.

If no, why is yours different?
    as above

Why did you pull your website down on 25th April, two days before the Times Article?
    I didn't, its not my website and I have zero control of it... However, even if it was the answer is out there and quite clear. After April 5th it was irrelevant.

How do people that have taken up your solution contact you in the future if they have any problems?
    People may call or accuse me of many things but hiding away isn't exactly one of them now is it!

Do you feel your unprofessional comments towards Mel Stride and HMRC on Twitter actually help anybody associated with this whole mess?
    Ive answered this previously a few days ago so wont waste time doing so again (this isn't meant as a defensive or aggressive response but a factual one)
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 9 November 2019, 06:55. Reason: Tag fix

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      Now that you've left DSW, what happens to the people that paid DSW for their advice/support through CLSO2 or LC?
      pmtc is the same legal entity so no change to people who signed up other than a name change to the business.
      I was finding I was spending too much time ensuring things were being done. I do not have spare time. It was therefore easier to take control and that's what this does.

Comment

Originally posted by Boodog View Post
        Not being abusive at all here, but, really? Who cares about whether Phil ‘pops in’ or not?
        Erm you felt the need to post this?

Comment

Originally posted by Boodog View Post
          Kinda funny.... Prime Minister’s Tax Resolution - Limited Liability Partnership.....

Again - no abuse intended, just appeals to my sense of humour....
          haha kinda appeals to my humour also tbf.it was originally Phil Manley Tax then someone pointed out that it would be PMT!

Comment

Originally posted by Iter View Post
            A scheme which has ‘rebranded’ and ‘doesn’t affect the clients’[emoji849]
            This simply doesn't make sense for numerous reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Have you ever been arrested?
              Answered previously.

Comment

Originally posted by WalterWhite View Post
                Please don't.

I like Phil, I admire his passion, however the scheme and his tone on twitter, I don't. I am interested in how he will answer my questions. Maybe there are genuine reasons for both?
                Thanks and I appreciate your manner of questioning also.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                  Sorted

Possibly because people are nervous about what is happening with you moving companies and being featured in The Times as being named by HMRC as being "accused of tax avoidance" and "involved with the scheme, designed to help freelancers avoid paying the loan charge". It could make people question your integrity and when they find you are overseas it could make them wonder if you had done a moonlight flit

You stated in a post last night that you would take legal action against anyone else who called you a slippery crook. Are you taking action against the times for saying that you have been accused over tax avoidance? Some commentary from you on the article would be of use.
                  Fair enough, but to clarify - my reason for being abroad is nothing more than its nicer! Im not especially wishing to advertise my private life but as I can understand the question I shall. I split up with my partner, I do not get to live with my children because of this. I work 80 hours a week. I do not own property.
                  Therefore my options were
                  1. Pay rent and remain in moss side
                  2.Pay the same amount of rent or live in the sun.

It was that simple. That's it. I can travel to Manchester from Portugal in 2.5 hours. Not much more than from London. Im currently sitting with my son in a portuguese flat in the winery region of Lisbon. It costs me nothing more than seeing him in Manchester. That's all there is to it. My business is uk registered. There is zero tax benefit to it. I still have to be regulated to the exact same level. My PI still applies to the new business (indeed just today I received confirmation from the insurance place). There is no legalistic speech needed on this matter. Quite simply id rather be in Portugal than England. That is it.

Comment

Originally posted by starstruck View Post
                    Would living in Portugal place you outside of any legal or regulatory oversight? Will your company always be UK based or may that in time move offshore also? Will your staff all be UK based?
                    makes no difference whatsoever, still regulated by same office, still need exactly the same insurance. indeed its still a UK business. It is simply me preferring to sit in the sun than moss side.

Comment

Originally posted by OutRiding View Post
                      Like many people who settled following the FN/APNs, I paid NIC which HMRC should not have demanded based on the limitations act, What is happening to challenge HMRC on this?
                      Give me a call in morning. The short answer is (and I suspect other advisors will confirm) that HMRC are making it up as they go along. However there is now a potential way to sort this.

Comment

Working...
                      X