• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A glimmer of hope?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A glimmer of hope?

Liberal Democrat MP Stephen Lloyd has tabled a motion calling on Government to amend the 5.4.19 loan charge “to apply only to disguised remuneration loans entered into after the Finance Act 2017 received Royal Assent”. The motion can be found here.

https://www.parliament.uk/edm/2017-19/1239

If it is to gain any traction it will need support from other Members of Parliament. You should therefore lobby your local MP and ask them to support the motion

Originally posted by bhand5 View Post
    Liberal Democrat MP Stephen Lloyd has tabled a motion calling on Government to amend the 5.4.19 loan charge “to apply only to disguised remuneration loans entered into after the Finance Act 2017 received Royal Assent”. The motion can be found here.

If it is to gain any traction it will need support from other Members of Parliament. You should therefore lobby your local MP and ask them to support the motion
    Have seen this posted on other threads, would need a large number of MP's to support it, however I really can't see them backing down on this, would make them look very weak if they did.

Comment

Originally posted by WalterWhite View Post
      Have seen this posted on other threads, would need a large number of MP's to support it, however I really can't see them backing down on this, would make them look very weak if they did.
      That sounds too defeatist to me. It at least draws attention to our plight and then maybe something else leads on from there.

Comment

Originally posted by foobar View Post
        That sounds too defeatist to me. It at least draws attention to our plight and then maybe something else leads on from there.
        All protest groups get abuse and derision at first.

One thing that makes this case difficult is that I don't think may are proud of what they did. They feel embarrassed and gullible for being conned. However that does not mean all the "blame" should fall on their shoulders.

Anyone who has not sinned can cast the first kettle.

Comment

Originally posted by foobar View Post
          I hope I am wrong, I just really can't see it going anywhere unfortunately

Comment

If us people as a collective i.e. the people who are affected can not even be 4rsed to do anything to help themselves why should anybody else?
            We need to stop wallowing around, feeling sorry for ourselves and join any motion that is going that may help the cause. retrospective tax back to 1999 is not legal... the voices should be heard.
            As a very minimum find the email address of your local MP and send them the link of the early motion...then ask them what their views are!?

Comment

Originally posted by Finalwhistle View Post
              If us people as a collective i.e. the people who are affected can not even be 4rsed to do anything to help themselves why should anybody else?
              We need to stop wallowing around, feeling sorry for ourselves and join any motion that is going that may help the cause. retrospective tax back to 1999 is not legal... the voices should be heard.
              As a very minimum find the email address of your local MP and send them the link of the early motion...then ask them what their views are!?

Emailed my MP (Luke Graham).

Comment

Originally posted by Finalwhistle View Post

I agree.

However retrospective tax is legal. Someone posted the other day about stuff going back to 2009. Astonishing!

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
                  I agree.

However retrospective tax is legal. Someone posted the other day about stuff going back to 2009. Astonishing!
                  I have also sent the letter to MP. I am going to request SP and PTS as well to share the link with contractors as they all will be in the same boat.

Comment

Originally posted by GUD View Post
                    I have also sent the letter to MP. I am going to request SP and PTS as well to share the link with contractors as they all will be in the same boat.
                    SP and PTS will not be interested

They want you to sign up with them, get you to give them some more money, then process things through. It is not in their interests to stop this from happening.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X