• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A glimmer of hope?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Finalwhistle View Post
    If us people as a collective i.e. the people who are affected can not even be 4rsed to do anything to help themselves why should anybody else?
    We need to stop wallowing around, feeling sorry for ourselves and join any motion that is going that may help the cause. retrospective tax back to 1999 is not legal... the voices should be heard.
    As a very minimum find the email address of your local MP and send them the link of the early motion...then ask them what their views are!?

https://www.parliament.uk/edm/2017-19/1239
    Yes we seem to suffer a sort of inferiority complex when it comes to dealing with politicians and government departments - That we have no leverage over the situation so 'why bother trying?'. For anyone reading this post I can tell you politicians are actually very sensitive to public opinion and that government agencies are ultra paranoid about any negative publicity in the press.

We are making progress - A few months ago the situation seemed utterly hopeless but now an EDM has been tabled. Perhaps nothing will come from it but perhaps it will lead onto something else hitherto not considered. People are starting to take notice in the large publications and asking questions. No self serving politician is 'my better'. Never give up. Get onto twitter, follow 'dotasscandal' et al, connect with others and start badgering anyone you think will listen. Alternatively you can cry about, roll over and die. We are going to die anyway so lets' give it a good fight.

Comment

Letter to MP

Just written to Stephen Lloyd MP ...
      Feel free to use any of the content to write to your MP ...
      Rt Hon Stephen Lloyd

Dear Mr Lloyd,

I am writing to express my support for your early day motion 1239 expressing concern at the 2019 Loan Charge and retrospective action applying back to 1999. I agree that the loan charge should apply only to disguised remuneration loans entered into after the Finance Act 2017 received Royal Assent.

I am just one of hundreds of thousands of ordinary people caught up in this massive miss-selling scandal who was led into the arrangement by my accountancy firm.

I agree that it is unfair that HMRC are pursuing people who acted in good faith on the advice of professionals, rather than the client organisations, agencies, umbrella companies, scheme providers and accountants, all of whom benefited greatly and many of which have significant assets. Although HMRC have the power to fine and recover the fees earned by the enablers of tax avoidance I see no evidence of them doing so.

Presuming HMRC has its way on the transfer of liability from enabler to beneficiary, I like so many others now face the shock of retrospective sanction under the loan charge. Apparently HMRC undertook an impact assessment on the loan charge and concluded that the impact will be minimal on families. I have no idea how they could have arrived at such a conclusion. The fact is that this assertion is clearly false and despite HMRC assurances that the rules will not create hardship or injustice, personal bankruptcy and worse is, sadly a very real prospect.

With interest added to tax (a requirement of HMRC's strategy) and national insurance liability calculations, I cannot see any realistic prospect of being able to reach a settlement with HMRC I can honour that will avoid financial destitution, and so will likely be forced into personal bankruptcy. The fallout from this will be personally significant, including the care of my wife who is disabled and reliant on me for financial support.

On the contractor forums there are harrowing stories to be read and some people are considering taking drastic action because they feel they have no other choice, including contemplating suicide, because they see themselves as the problem.

I am though encouraged that your motion appears to be gathering momentum with the cross bench support of some Labour and DUP MPs.

For obvious reasons, I would like my name to be kept confidential.

Comment

Standard Protocol

A tax consultant recently wrote "That this is taxing individuals retrospectively, which would be illegal."
        I think the point is that HMRC have gone beyond standard protocol in doing this and the protocol is that retrospective should only used in exceptional circumstances ...

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenth1 View Post
          A tax consultant recently wrote "That this is taxing individuals retrospectively, which would be illegal."
          I think the point is that HMRC have gone beyond standard protocol in doing this and the protocol is that retrospective should only used in exceptional circumstances ...
          I'd be very surprised if a tax consultant suggested that retrospection is illegal - it's not.

There are various precedents of varying strength and recommendations from powerful Parliamentary committees that retrospection should be used only in exceptional circumstances, but if Parliament decides that retrospection is needed (whatever arcane justification they use), then they have to power to make law.

The loan charge is usually defended as not being retrospective because it applies to a future date and can be avoided by repaying the loan. That argument ignores the reality of the situation but creates a safe haven for HMRC to hide in when the MPs ask questions.

It's worth pointing out in all communications with MPs the fact that you are not going to send money to people who have cheated you and therefore avoiding the charge is practically impossible.
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

We now have cross party support on EDM 1239.

https://www.parliament.uk/edm/2017-19/1239

Come on people get on phones and start calling your MP! Make such a fuss that they have to listen to you!

Comment

Please call, write and see your MP

It is important to keep contact with your MP asking them to support this EDM and to express their concerns to the Treasury.

We need support from the MPs as this is an Act of Parliament.

When contacting MP you must provide name and address as MPs are not allowed to look at cases of people that do not live in their actual constituency. Some people are worried that by contacting MP or signing petition it puts them on the HMRC's radar. Well you already are and will be soon once the Trustee's pass on your details to the HMRC.

Comment

Originally posted by luxCon View Post
                It is important to keep contact with your MP asking them to support this EDM and to express their concerns to the Treasury.

We need support from the MPs as this is an Act of Parliament.

When contacting MP you must provide name and address as MPs are not allowed to look at cases of people that do not live in their actual constituency. Some people are worried that by contacting MP or signing petition it puts them on the HMRC's radar. Well you already are and will be soon once the Trustee's pass on your details to the HMRC.
                Come on people, no time to waste please get going on https://www.writetothem.com/

Comment

3 Conservative MPs has so far supported this

21 signatures on the EDM, with 3 conservative MPs.

The 3 conservatives are very significant as they are going against the whip.

Please contact your MP, both yourself and partner separately.

Pressure, pressure, pressure

This thing has legs and could influence the way HMRC would deal with the situation. Chase your MP if have not heard from them. Make appointment to see them at their surgery

Comment

In case people are not reading the other thread where I posted this.

Here is a recent update
                    https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...overnment-must

There is about 3 different areas on this site where people are urging people to take action. If anyone is finding this daunting the LCAG has templates available. If anyone wants help...just ask.

Comment

Originally posted by MayMadness View Post
                      In case people are not reading the other thread where I posted this.

Here is a recent update
                      https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...overnment-must

There is about 3 different areas on this site where people are urging people to take action. If anyone is finding this daunting the LCAG has templates available. If anyone wants help...just ask.
                      I wonder if this was a post for the public, or if other MPs are actually going to read this and respond.

Comment

Working...
                      X