• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sympathy for the Devil

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phil@dswtres View Post
    Id say there's no chance of that being a concern for HMRC.
    You don't think there will be any push back, court cases, judicial reviews, amendments?

Comment

Originally posted by ConfusedEasily View Post
      FakeHorizon - the throwback to days of rampant misogyny. What will get you banned this time I wonder?
      I'm not sure what's going on here but, whilst i appreciate anyone championing my rights to post, id like to state that Webberg has been v polite and professional to me and tbf seems an excellent tax advisor. There's plenty of space for all of us here and I'm happy to work with him also.

Comment

Originally posted by starstruck View Post
        You don't think there will be any push back, court cases, judicial reviews, amendments?
        I'm almost certain there will be push back but, perhaps I'm being a bit pessimistic, i just don't see them being successful. This is only my opinion/guess though and therefore clearly i may be wrong.

Comment

Thank you, glad to (at least try to) help.
          Just to say I've been helped today by Phil who was very generous with his time, expertise and patience with a novice such as myself.

I've been in touch with some others who post on here (before I registered, I would always hover the forums to see other experiences, and make contact away from here) and he was much more helpful so I can say for sure he is a genuine guy.

Thanks Phil.

Comment

I'm not sure what's going on here but, whilst i appreciate anyone championing my rights to post, id like to state that Webberg has been v polite and professional to me and tbf seems an excellent tax advisor. There's plenty of space for all of us here and I'm happy to work with him also.
            Cityampm appears to be a previously banned member of the forum under a different name.

Just ignore the froth.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              You really think HMRC fail to realise?
              I agree that they realise that with the help of behavioural insights etc... they know exactly what they are doing/causing however, I really don't believe they realise the scale of what they are causing amongst thousands of one man band contractors.

The fact they are now offering up to 7yrs Time to Pay would support that and confirm they have at least had to acknowledge this and amend their DMB process.

Will they change their bully boy tactics ? No. Will they have to compromise a little, to ensure they pull in their 'Max Tax' strategy ? Yes and the above TTP example proves this. They are having to play catch up with years of counter avoidance and DMB policy due to the shear numbers of peopled and money involved.
              STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

HMRC Vulnerable list ....

PhilM ... I am posting this on behalf of a friend (honest)..

She is on the HMRC vulnerable list. HMRC keep ignoring this - she keeps getting letters and phone calls. What duty of care do HMRC owe to her? Is there anything you can suggest to help get her some space from HMRC?

Comment

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post

She is on the HMRC vulnerable list. HMRC keep ignoring this - she keeps getting letters and phone calls. What duty of care do HMRC owe to her? Is there anything you can suggest to help get her some space from HMRC?
                  Until Phil chips in, this link may be of some assistance to your friend.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...ing/dmbm585185
                  STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Id have someone complain on her behalf and have them agree that communication can go via that person instead of direct to her (obv she would need to agree to this). Id start by making the complaint using the online form. As you will see, HMRC have a list of reasons why a complaint can be made and the 3rd one on the list is "how we have treated you" which sounds like it covers your friends position. Id also consider going via your MP as on that sort of thing (vulnerable person and MP being involved) HMRC tend to react quite well I find.
                    HTH
                    Phil

Comment

Without wishing to steal Phil's opportunity, I'll add some personal experience here.

HMRC's vulnerable list has perhaps 20 clients of ours on it and frankly is a joke. It's a sop to PAC and whatever other oversight HMRC consider they have to pander to.

In my experience, the only way to make this work for your friend is for her to contact her MP, explain the position, share the correspondence and EVERY time more nonsense happens, go back to the MP.

We have tried to intercept the brown envelopes and DMB calls/visits and frankly have had little success.

Just last week a DMB officer claimed not to know what a 64-8 was. (It's a general authority for an agent to act) and on being told, claimed that it did not apply to DMB - which is an outright lie.

I hope Phil has a better experience and if so, I'd like to hear it.
                      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                      X