• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Horizon exit opportunity (Non-Big Group discussion thread)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
    Ask yourself this. How big a deal is the 2019 charge for the Government and HMRC?

Then ask yourself what HMRC's response is likely to be to anyone who tries to dodge it.

Red rag, bull?
    I've done my own research and paid for my own advice, the two mantras of this forum, I'll be fine so I can either clear loans at 5% or pay tax at 20%. Toss a coin? Are there provisions for HMRC to tax me on repaid loans? Not according to my paid-for advice!

Comment

Originally posted by FakeHorizon View Post
      I've done my own research and paid for my own advice, the two mantras of this forum, I'll be fine so I can either clear loans at 5% or pay tax at 20%. Toss a coin? Are there provisions for HMRC to tax me on repaid loans? Not according to my paid-for advice!
      Well good luck for the future.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

These repayments that you make, are they from your personal account or your business one?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          These repayments that you make, are they from your personal account or your business one?
          any repayments I make will be from personal funds. I and others in the same position have until the loan charge becomes law to clear outstanding loans, based on the decision made in the Rangers case. This is what is being advised.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            Well good luck for the future.
            I'll probably join a cult and assign all my assets to them. That'll teach HMRC!

Comment

any repayments I make will be from personal funds. I and others in the same position have until the loan charge becomes law to clear outstanding loans, based on the decision made in the Rangers case. This is what is being advised.
              So you've repaid the same amount in £ sterling that you were originally loaned? Was the advice just based on their best opinion and what are they offering if their advice is wrong - will you get a refund?
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                So you've repaid the same amount in £ sterling that you were originally loaned? Was the advice just based on their best opinion and what are they offering if their advice is wrong - will you get a refund?
                If anyone has enough to pay the full loan in cash then I would suggest that the tax is not a problem. They are the very lucky or very prudent ones.

I would be interested to know what people think of paying the loans off on the 5th April 2019. I cannot see how the HRMC can demand that it comes from your personal account. As long as it is paid off and you can prove it. Surely it is up to you how you pay it off. As long as it is cash and not equities etc.

Admittedly there is then the question of how to get the cash back out of the EBT without incurring a huge tax bill.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  I'd imagine they've taken QC opinion on this. This is a bona fide accountancy firm in the UK, not the usual chancers in IOM and Cyprus. Should I not rely on their advice? If they are spinning, then I lose the 5% trust fee and have to pay 20% tax, that's the risk. No refunds.

Comment

Originally posted by me206et View Post
                    If anyone has enough to pay the full loan in cash then I would suggest that the tax is not a problem. They are the very lucky or very prudent ones.

I would be interested to know what people think of paying the loans off on the 5th April 2019. I cannot see how the HRMC can demand that it comes from your personal account. As long as it is paid off and you can prove it. Surely it is up to you how you pay it off. As long as it is cash and not equities etc.

Admittedly there is then the question of how to get the cash back out of the EBT without incurring a huge tax bill.
                    no-one will be paying the loans back in full and walking away from it, I think that much is obvious. Waiting till 2019 also seems crazy to me as you're going to be in the higher tax bands without a doubt.

Comment

I'd imagine they've taken QC opinion on this. This is a bona fide accountancy firm in the UK, not the usual chancers in IOM and Cyprus. Should I not rely on their advice? If they are spinning, then I lose the 5% trust fee and have to pay 20% tax, that's the risk. No refunds.
                      I used to joke that a qc opinion was an alcoholic meal and anything where the qc kept a straight face was acceptable. Oh and the accountancy firm saw you coming
                      Last edited by eek; 16 September 2017, 21:37.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X