• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Resisting the APN - how - why - other questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CitySlicker View Post
    Hi - I just received an APN relating to 2005/6. I saw a mention about a 4 year rule on this forum (above) and wondered is someone could provide any details on this?

Many thanks
    Look here VAEC1143 - Powers of assessment: VAT assessment powers: The four year rule

and here CH56100 - Assessing Time Limits: Tables of time limits for relevant taxes: Income Tax & Capital Gains Tax
    http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

I too have had an APN for 2011 (Closed period). The APN and re assessment came after the period closed. I have challenged this and HMRC stated they wrote to me in 2012 asking me to confirm that that I needed to confirm my Self assessment DOTAS amounts are correct i.e. claiming there was an open enquiry. They are saying this gives them the right to issue the APN. There was no re assessment made or calculation done or issued prior to April 2015. There was no COP8 notice. I had no right to appeal the revised calculation at the time as it was never issued. This is surely reason for it to fail any justification?

Comment

Originally posted by cazza777 View Post
        I too have had an APN for 2011 (Closed period). The APN and re assessment came after the period closed. I have challenged this and HMRC stated they wrote to me in 2012 asking me to confirm that that I needed to confirm my Self assessment DOTAS amounts are correct i.e. claiming there was an open enquiry. They are saying this gives them the right to issue the APN. There was no re assessment made or calculation done or issued prior to April 2015. There was no COP8 notice. I had no right to appeal the revised calculation at the time as it was never issued. This is surely reason for it to fail any justification?
        Yes. The problem is...it's going to be your word against HMRC's, basically. But there are many others in a similar situation.
        Ask on Big Group if you are a member.
        Last edited by DotasScandal; 15 July 2015, 17:53. Reason: typo
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by cazza777 View Post
          Would you mind sharing what you exactly wrote to HMRC? I too is in the same situration but have yet wrote to them as another member in another private forum had just wrote to them and I wanna see what is his outcome.

Comment

Working...
          X