• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Resisting the APN - how - why - other questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WalterWhite View Post
    i have read up on the subject (just haven't read every thread on this forum as most of the schemes don't apply to me)

I assume you have not been issued with an APN if you were non-dotas registered? Or if you were you have appealed it?
    sigh

Comment

Originally posted by MercladUK View Post
      sigh
      *or have you made representations to HMRC?

Comment

*or have you made representations to HMRC?
        I was in a Dotas registered scheme in 2008 - APN received
        I was also in a Non-Dotas registered scheme 2011 - No APN received

Comment

I was in a Dotas registered scheme in 2008 - APN received
          I was also in a Non-Dotas registered scheme 2011 - No APN received
          Sorry to hear that,

I hope your provider is helping with the situation.

Comment

Sorry to hear that,

I hope your provider is helping with the situation.
            I can pay this APN, which I will grudgingly.

the Non Dotas scheme is far greater

Comment

I can pay this APN, which I will grudgingly.

the Non Dotas scheme is far greater
              Unless there is a u-turn in the Rangers case (or another is won by HMRC) I dont see what grounds they can use to issue a follower notice at this moment in time - assuming the intermediary involved in your scheme was UK based meaning no way of using TOAA

Comment

I understand that there are a number of issues that have been mentioned in the posts above and one that has not. I will attempt to address these.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-f-notices.pdf

The above is the HMRC guidance on FN and APN. Read section 2.4. This discusses how to make a representation against an APN because it is NOT POSSIBLE TO APPEAL.

An appeal in the tax lexicon means that you and HMRC have a dispute and if necessary both parties have recourse to an independent arbiter, i.e. a judge.

A representation as defined above means that you can take issue with the notice if the conditions for issue are not met or the notice is inadequate. If you do this, then HMRC appoint an officer to review the representation and if necessary make corrections. There is no reference to an independent arbiter available.

To date all APN's that I have seen have been for DOTAS registered schemes. I suspect that HMRC will in due course review schemes that have not been disclosed but which they think are notifiable and APN's will follow. I suggest that will be in about 15 months time.

BIG GROUP is NOT, as has been stated, there to deal with APNs. If this is required then I will certainly look at changing terms and fees.

I do make representations against APNs for clients who have signed on with me. They are charged separately.

I hope this is clear.

With respect I think there is some confusion between the conditions required to issue an APN and what you can do once you have one.

Finally, I understand that as a result of the exchanges here, there has been a suggestion that I am a reincarnation of another tax adviser who I understand has not earned a good reputation here. (I have never met this person and have no personal or professional opinion of him).

I am happy to share my bona fides with any who ask. If permitted by the admin team, I am happy to make a biography available.

I am very definitely NOT happy that comparisons with those of low reputation are made in a way designed to be less than transparent. If you have an issue with me or my advice, I'm very happy to discuss it privately or openly but please be honest and straightforward and just ask.
                Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Notifiable and notified/registered/declared are different. Think about it.

Comment

Update

Hi all,

Unfortunately I seem to have caused a bit of a stir, that wasnt my intention.

I have been discussing the situation with Webberg via PM and also offered my apologies.

With regards to an alter ego and/or an ex-poster on here I have to say I have no idea about any of that so cannot comment.

Comment

4 year rule - where can I find the details pls?

Originally posted by cazza777 View Post
                      I have been issued an APN for an EBT scheme for tax year 2010/11 the SRN and amount was disclosed on the return. The APN Calculated is after the 4 year period as ended. Can I dispute the APN based on the fact it outside the investigation period? i.e. They should have filed before 5th April 2015 given the 4 year rule?
                      Hi - I just received an APN relating to 2005/6. I saw a mention about a 4 year rule on this forum (above) and wondered is someone could provide any details on this?

Many thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X