• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BIG GROUP

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ex-mrs-bp works for IR. Once someone claimed back £16 of back tax. They said he would have to spend hundreds on accountants fees before they would see it.

If a letter came in, they would look for the file. If it was not there the letter would be binned.

Now she travels round people who owe back tax getting them to pay up. The perfect job for her. Bullying and harrassment.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      These threads are full of such stories and I think that an hour reading them would repay you.
      Would appreciate some more specific beneficial forum links if possible or any others, most of the forums go off topic and not finding any decent pointers. Spent some time but not found anything of real value besides complaints. Apologies in advance if not the norm to request or if that is all to be found.

Comment

Originally posted by RajaStyle View Post
        Would appreciate some more specific beneficial forum links if possible or any others, most of the forums go off topic and not finding any decent pointers. Spent some time but not found anything of real value besides complaints. Apologies in advance if not the norm to request or if that is all to be found.
        It really depends on your own personal circumstances.

Some are paying up. Those that are fighting are almost entirely with Big Group.

I reckon the majority are fighting - however no-one knows. Not even HMRC.

Comment

If you settle and the tribal goes against the HMRC, does that mean you get your settlement amount back?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobo View Post
            If you settle and the tribal goes against the HMRC, does that mean you get your settlement amount back?
            No.

Comment

Depends on the terms of the settlement and the basis of the agreement, but the poster above is generally correct.

A settlement is normally encased in a legal agreement and is irrevocable unless there are legal grounds for laying it aside.

For tax settlements those are rare (not unknown) but would include things like gross misrepresenting of facts, dishonesty or excluding relevant factors.
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by Bobo View Post
                It is all stacked in HMRC's favour.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  It is all stacked in HMRC's favour.
                  A contract settlement is indifferent to one side or the other.

Terms are offered, negotiation takes place, terms are agreed and reduced to a contract.

There is no compulsion to take the terms.

I agree that "settlement" terms are hardly that and are very much HMRC biased and that they use a number of means to apply pressure to accept, but the actual process of the legal contract is balanced.
                  Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                    A contract settlement is indifferent to one side or the other.

Terms are offered, negotiation takes place, terms are agreed and reduced to a contract.

There is no compulsion to take the terms.

I agree that "settlement" terms are hardly that and are very much HMRC biased and that they use a number of means to apply pressure to accept, but the actual process of the legal contract is balanced.
                    Semantics.

The HMRC terms are pay now or we issue APNs and then take the money from your bank account. And interest keeps accruing - even after you have appealed.

They also abuse the "lead cases" - they try to get as many as possible to try to increase costs.

A complete reach around.

Comment

Joining

Guys can I just confirm the joining process, the first post of this thread say;

'membership is £10 a month for 60 months (perhaps less/more). Alternatively pay £500 day 1 and then nothing until month 61.'

joining link says;

'WTT Big Group costs £200 (inc VAT) to join following which a monthly fee of £18 (inc VAT) applies. A resolution fee of £1500 + VAT will also be applicable at the point you decide to join any offered settlement strategy.'

Just want some clarification on if this is the same group to join with modified costs and will there be any further costs envisaged after ?

Also will this be someone representing me going forward and responding to any HMRC letters I get onwards ? or is this still down to me and this group is just for the resolution of the wider picture I may benefit from.

Just want to join and get the details right. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X