• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BIG GROUP

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mschof View Post
    webberg - I completed the application to join Big group today. Hoping I'm not too late?
    Never too late!

Processing the app should take a few days or so, see you there!

Comment

Originally posted by mschof View Post
      webberg - I completed the application to join Big group today. Hoping I'm not too late?
      You're right on time! People are joining everyday, so be a bit patient with the forum access. See you there!
      Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Self Assessment - Bailiff came knocking

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm in the midst of joining BG as I believe in your cause.

Background and some questions

I was contracting with White Collar for a few months in 2009/2010, 2010/2011 and a bit of 2011/2012.

I received revised self assessments from HMRC disputing my self assessment for 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 basically saying the loan is deemed income and thus need to pay more. Note, I did not appeal the revised self assessment back then.

I paid the 2009/2010 as it was affordable but resorted to White Collar/MyFD to resolve the 2010/2011 bill. As per the rest of the folks here who were involved with MyFD, the analysis they have provided did not "resolve" the self assessment bill and I have not had contact from them as I have decided not to settle with HMRC.

I was thinking if I bought myself Certificates of Tax Deposits (CTDs) to the sum that HMRC said I owe, I can stop the interest from piling and thus can afford to wait while HMRC tries to prove their case. Which was what I did.

Unfortunately, the bailiff came knocking this weekend demanding payment or seizure of assets. Managed to convince the bailiff that I'm awaiting HMRC to prove their position and showed him my CTDs.

The bailiff advised me to call a number on the Warning of enforcement action - Type of tax: SA (Self Assessment) document he gave me. If I don't, bailiffs will keep coming and the next one might not understand my situation.

I have yet to call HMRC as I would like some advice from White Collar/MyFD in case I implicate myself. No word from them.

Question:

1. Should I call HMRC?
        2. If yes, what should I say? As strictly speaking, I don't have a "case" against me personally, no APNs etc
        3. Basically, what should I do next?

Comment

Originally posted by selfAssessHell View Post
          Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm in the midst of joining BG as I believe in your cause.

Background and some questions

I was contracting with White Collar for a few months in 2009/2010, 2010/2011 and a bit of 2011/2012.

I received revised self assessments from HMRC disputing my self assessment for 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 basically saying the loan is deemed income and thus need to pay more. Note, I did not appeal the revised self assessment back then.

I paid the 2009/2010 as it was affordable but resorted to White Collar/MyFD to resolve the 2010/2011 bill. As per the rest of the folks here who were involved with MyFD, the analysis they have provided did not "resolve" the self assessment bill and I have not had contact from them as I have decided not to settle with HMRC.

I was thinking if I bought myself Certificates of Tax Deposits (CTDs) to the sum that HMRC said I owe, I can stop the interest from piling and thus can afford to wait while HMRC tries to prove their case. Which was what I did.

Unfortunately, the bailiff came knocking this weekend demanding payment or seizure of assets. Managed to convince the bailiff that I'm awaiting HMRC to prove their position and showed him my CTDs.

The bailiff advised me to call a number on the Warning of enforcement action - Type of tax: SA (Self Assessment) document he gave me. If I don't, bailiffs will keep coming and the next one might not understand my situation.

I have yet to call HMRC as I would like some advice from White Collar/MyFD in case I implicate myself. No word from them.

Question:

1. Should I call HMRC?
          2. If yes, what should I say? As strictly speaking, I don't have a "case" against me personally, no APNs etc
          3. Basically, what should I do next?
          Presumably the bailiff (probably not a bailiff but a field officer from DMB) was after the 10/11 liability?

resolving the question of liability for that year, assuming that the APN etc representations have run their course, can be done in one of three ways.

1. Ask HMRC for a settlement and the answer will be pretty much the assessment you have plus interest and perhaps a penalty. Time required say 3 months. Professional fees, perhaps £NIL.

2. Litigate. You'd still have to pay the demand. The resolution on White Collar might be 5 to 7 years away. Cost might be a share in perhaps £500,000 of fees. (Depends how many in the group). Final result, who knows? HMRC is determined. Providers are/were confident. Chances are that any decision will be digital, i.e. win big or lose big. Win big and you get the payment back. Lose big and you pay interest, perhaps a penalty and perhaps HMRC costs (although that would be unusual).

3. negotiate. You'd still have to pay the demand. resolution might be 2 to 3 years away. Cost might be up to perhaps £1,500 all in. Final result, who knows. Might be big win or big loss - see above. More likely some form of compromise that would hopefully be less than HMRC figures, but no guarantees here.

Once you're in BG, email me.
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

webberg,

Filled in the form to join Big Group. Also set up recurring payment via Paypal.

Couple of issues

1. I did not take down the bank account details to do the initial transfer. Have sent email via the web form to get that. Hoping to get a reply with the bank details soon

2. Like someone else on the site, the Paypal payment was taken immediately upon setup. I was under the impression that monthly subscription will be taken the 1st of the following month? Or am I mistaken?

Comment

Originally posted by selfAssessHell View Post
              webberg,

Filled in the form to join Big Group. Also set up recurring payment via Paypal.

Couple of issues

1. I did not take down the bank account details to do the initial transfer. Have sent email via the web form to get that. Hoping to get a reply with the bank details soon

2. Like someone else on the site, the Paypal payment was taken immediately upon setup. I was under the impression that monthly subscription will be taken the 1st of the following month? Or am I mistaken?
              Thanks for joining.

You'll get the bank details soon.

Yes the monthly is due on 1st. We'll either refund it if you wish or credit you on the 1st, your choice.

Please go via the BG forum or my email rather than this public place though. - Thanks.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Just receive apn for 2011-12 tax year. Can I still receive one from a previous year?

I have just received an APN for the 2011-12 tax year and have had no notification from HMRC that they were looking into anything

Can I ask if they can still send me APN's for previous years for the scheme they sent this one for?

Also if I received no notification they were looking into anything can I represent this APN.

They are now including there calculations also.

Thank you for your help on this.

Comment

Originally posted by illnine
                  If this was referring to Quantum limited, please can I ask what was said/ agreed/ discussed as I was with Quantum Limited
                  Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Am I too late to join?

I was contracting through Network One in 2011-12, and have just received a demand for unpaid tax due to "avoidance".

I haven't slept since. I could just about cover this demand, but any subsequent ones would kill me.

Does BG cover Quantum (2011-12) and Endeavour Global Consultants (2013-15) schemes?

This has got me so stressed!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksona69 View Post
                      I was contracting through Network One in 2011-12, and have just received a demand for unpaid tax due to "avoidance".

I haven't slept since. I could just about cover this demand, but any subsequent ones would kill me.

Does BG cover Quantum (2011-12) and Endeavour Global Consultants (2013-15) schemes?

This has got me so stressed!
                      yes - Big Group covers these

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                      X