• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should school refuse boy leave for mum's wedding?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does he have mini cheddars in his lunch box?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Does he have mini cheddars in his lunch box?
      Should I look that up on urban dictionary?

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
        I don't see how schools can cope with disruptions such as illness but not with notified absence within reasonable limits.
        It's the difference between having to deal with something, and volunteering to have disruption.

They also seem quite keen on days out and extortionate trips abroad organised by themselves but don't seem to rate the quality time that parents want to have with their children.
        School excursions have an educational benefit (or very occasionally a reward at specific times of the year). If every parent was going to spend quality time with their children that contributes to their education and development, then there would be a reasonable case for allowing as much absence as the parent wants. However, that's not going to happen, so to discriminate against some children in favour of others isn't right.

On two consecutive letters I received this year the first emphasised how they would not authorise leave under any circumstances and the second was regarding a school trip at some sort of adventure camp. I would prefer to organise my own trips for my kids.
        What stops you from organising your own trips for your kids?

I think with my youngest I will have to start saying that he won't be going on any of the school excursions but as they aren't planning to teach him anything I'll take him out of school to do things with the family instead.
        That assumes that they aren't planning on teaching him anything that day, which would be particularly poor of the school. If children don't go on the excursions, then the school will provide a full day of schooling for those children. For example, this week my children's school has a residential excursion for the week. Not everyone has gone on the excursion, but that doesn't mean that the rest of them are sat around doing nothing.

If you want to take your children out of school, then there is nothing that can really prevent you from doing that. Whether the school (and / or local authority) have policies in place which mean that you and / or your child could be open to other sanctions is something that you might want to consider first, though.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I don't see how schools can cope with disruptions such as illness but not with notified absence within reasonable limits. They also seem quite keen on days out and extortionate trips abroad organised by themselves but don't seem to rate the quality time that parents want to have with their children.

On two consecutive letters I received this year the first emphasised how they would not authorise leave under any circumstances and the second was regarding a school trip at some sort of adventure camp. I would prefer to organise my own trips for my kids. I think with my youngest I will have to start saying that he won't be going on any of the school excursions but as they aren't planning to teach him anything I'll take him out of school to do things with the family instead.
          The problem is you generally find it is the scrotey parents/kids which take 2 week holidays during term time and then expect the school to find the extra resource to bring the back up to speed.

If you handle it properly you can normally get a day or so with no problems assuming your kids are not lagging significantly behind the curve.

Also re not letting the kids go on the school outings is often not best as there is often lessons based on those trips when they come back - and also who wants to single their kids out for special treatment.....?

Comment

The trips that my kids have gone on have had minimal educational value, they seem to just be an excuse for the teachers to skive off. There's the annual trip to the Panto, a cinema trip, the trip to the Good Food Show at the NEC (that was so well supervised that Facebook filled up with pictures of students posing with models at the Bike Show that was on at the same time in a different hall). I also see hoards of kids wandering aimlessly around Castleton while the teachers are in one of the pubs.

Comment

The trips that my kids have gone on have had minimal educational value, they seem to just be an excuse for the teachers to skive off. There's the annual trip to the Panto, a cinema trip, the trip to the Good Food Show at the NEC (that was so well supervised that Facebook filled up with pictures of students posing with models at the Bike Show that was on at the same time in a different hall). I also see hoards of kids wandering aimlessly around Castleton while the teachers are in one of the pubs.
              Perhaps you should find a better school.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Perhaps you should find a better school.
                Or pull his head out of his arse and try and understand the education his child is getting.

Personally I send my kids on every trip that comes up. I remember all my school trips even now so think it is just as important to go on these as it is go to lessons. Ingleborough Hall outward bound when I was knee high to a grasshopper was still one of the best things I did at school.

just be an excuse for the teachers to skive off
                This comment alone shows how much of an ignorant bumhole you are and how little you are willing to think about it. You think all the preparation, planning, expense and then spending time looking after 60+ kids for a weekend is skivving? And none of this will be done during school time
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I think the lesson here is to just lie & pull a sickie

Comment

It’s a lot to do with Gove trying to restrict children's days off from school. It's all very one sided.
                    I have friends with children in public (fee paying) schools, and they are "allowed" to take them out during term time for two weeks holidays no problems whatsoever. Gove and the state are not trying to stop this.
                    On the other hand, if your children are in a state school, they are trying to introduce allsorts of micromanagement.
                    Well guess what the reasons state schools produce rubbish results so often is a bit more complex than this.
                    I look back at my own school days, those who were taken out from school for family events and holidays were often the best performing pupils by all measures.
                    So my view is it’s a well-meaning attempt to improve standards which aims but misses all of the real problems stopping children achieving their potential.
                    Gove would do better to address himself to issues like those children who will be starting school next September who are already more advanced than many of that schools children who have already been in the school a few years, and how they will be forced to tread water and get bored for a few years while the rest of their intake catch up. And so on.

Comment

In my children's schools there are a hard core of truants who ruin the figures, however they seem to have few successful sanctions. This is just about looking tough.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X