• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should school refuse boy leave for mum's wedding?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Well it was in response to your question so not a mystery subject. Again with the second comment it makes sense with the rest of the sentence.

You don't get points for taking cheap shots at Yorkshire folks lack of education.
    Quite right.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

it's; he'll;
      It is

he will

What makes you think that spelling the words correctly, without contraction, makes them wrong?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        It is

he will

What makes you think that spelling the words correctly, without contraction, makes them wrong?
        If we're being pedantic, it should be 'They are things ...' although 'There are things' would actually make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          If we're being pedantic, it should be 'They are things ...' although 'There are things' would actually make sense.
          I'm not suggesting that original sentence did not require correction - for example, I would have included a comma whereas scooterscot preferred a full stop.

The non-contraction of those words wasn't wrong, though.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            It is

he will

There's noah a contraction smiley.

Contractions make your writing seem friendly and accessible. They give the appearance that you are actually "talking" to your reader.
            When writing dialogue, contractions help reflect how a character actually speaks.

But mostly cause I'm just bored. Just really bored.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

There's noah a contraction smiley.

Contractions make your writing seem friendly and accessible. They give the appearance that you are actually "talking" to your reader.
              When writing dialogue, contractions help reflect how a character actually speaks.

But mostly cause I'm just boring. Just really boring.
              FTFY
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                FTFY
                TFFYDDS

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  BBC News - Shropshire school refuses boy leave for mum's wedding

A nine-year-old boy has been refused leave from school to attend his mother's wedding.

Claire Whitelegg, who is getting married in Cornwall on Tuesday, asked Clive School in Shropshire if her son could be absent for three days.

Should the school refuse boy leave for mum's wedding?
                  Yes. Completely ridiculous and over the top.

All this draconian refusal to allow kids to have time off from school is all to do with the coalition's drive to cut truancy rates. Target driven in other words.

He's 9 year for heaven's sake. it's not like he's going to miss a crucial part of the curriculum. We used to go away for 2 weeks every June - my mother used to send in a note telling them we were going on holiday & I wouldn't be around for 2 weeks. There was no question of REQUESTING the time off.

It'd be different if it was the middle of his GCSEs or whatever.

We used to drive down to the South of France every year and the whole trip was far more educational and stimulating than being stuck in some stuffy classroom having the bilge they were trying to teach us go in one ear and out the other.

Comment

TFFYDDS
                    Nope, I have no idea what that means.

Thank F for you(r) something?
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                      Nope, I have no idea what that means.

Thank F for you(r) something?
                      Neither have I.

Are you beginning to realise how bored I am yet?

Comment

Working...
                      X