• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

would you like fries with that degree?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ability that employers have to hire dirt cheap foreign graduates for rock bottom wages is a significant factor in youth unemployment.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Even most of the infrastructure support guys have a degree.
      I'm not questioning your experience, but I'm infrastructure through and through and I see relatively few degrees in this world. I've only ever had one agent tell me I need one in the last 10 years - experience and relevant qualifications count for everything. Even if I had a degree, I'd drop it off my CV in favour of work experience and industry certs.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        I'm not questioning your experience, but I'm infrastructure through and through and I see relatively few degrees in this world. I've only ever had one agent tell me I need one in the last 10 years - experience and relevant qualifications count for everything. Even if I had a degree, I'd drop it off my CV in favour of work experience and industry certs.
        its a huge corporate , a degree is part of the hiring criteria.

I agree in previous lives I have hired some great infrastructure guys with just experience.

I'm unusual not having one.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          its a huge corporate , a degree is part of the ritual dance of moving paperwork around and ticking boxes.
          ftfy
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
            When I went to uni in the late 80s I was under the impression that my 3 years study would be a passport to a world of opportunity.

My hopes were dashed when I graduated just in time for the early 90s recession.
            I never thought that. I went to university because that's what people said I should do, and graduating in 1992 certainly wasn't easy, but I wasn't under any misapprehension that I was in any way entitled to anything good because I had a degree. It was all just part of the same treadmill as O-levels and A-levels.

I honestly don't know what I'd do now. The thought of £50K of debt must be terrifying.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              It's necessary to embark on one though, and it's much the same with Mathematics, Physics or any other hard science. The problem is with the expectation that degree courses turn out fully formed worker bees IMO. They never did that.
              My point was not that a degree turns out a complete worker, but that it turns out someone hireable in that field. If you want to actually work as a chemist/physicist rather than just get a degree and then take a job in an unrelated or tangential field, a plain BSc doesn't really cut it. Whereas a regular Maths/CompSci would - but then Engineering is a whole separate thing nearly as bad as medicine!
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

I honestly don't know what I'd do now. The thought of £50K of debt must be terrifying.
                Indeed. They're implementing the same policies in NL too now. The one hope I have is that this leads to a growth in, for want of a better phrase, 'open source/freeware education'.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I finished my Software Engineering degree in 2005 and I don't think it served much of a purpose other than having someone to tell me what books to read in which order. And maybe a foot in the door for my first job.

I did ****-all and got a 2:1 (a lot of the other guys got firsts but nearly killed themselves for it), and I'm pretty sure with the self-learning and info available on the web these days I could achieve more starting from scratch now, in my own time, than i did in 3 years at university.

I know LOADS of chimps with degrees.

**edit** I did ****-all for the degree, but i did my own stuff and ended up a far better programmer (not that programming is all the course was about) than the other guys with their firsts.

I got my first job by showing the boss a rudimentary MUD engine I'd written. He was surprisingly impressed.
                  Last edited by SpontaneousOrder; 4 June 2014, 11:20.

Comment

You could say that about any degree, since everything taught at degree level is in text books. But most people would not do as well with a reading list, being taught things directly and being able to ask questions is more powerful than self-study.

Even world-renowned academics still like talking to each other and meeting up in person rather than just reading each other's papers. Human interaction is important.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Software is a bit of a noddy degree though.

Comment

Working...
                      X