• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Something you'll not see on a UK train, wow isn't Germany fantastic post

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I travelled from London to Durham in under 3 hours, arrived spot on time after being served a 2 course dinner including a passable cheese board, as well as drinks and snacks, all complimentary, for £40.

So what?
    I take it you booked only a couple of days before. Careful planning means I can often do that for under £30....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      That German trains have a sign that tells you how fast you are going.

Impressive.

And glass topped coffee tables
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        I take it you booked only a couple of days before. Careful planning means I can often do that for under £30....
        About two weeks ahead. They book up quick it seems, there were cheaper tickets but not the times we needed to travel.

The train was crazy. Only stopped at 4 stations, 3 1st class carriages and virtually empty. A world apart from XC "first class" trains which have a bout 4 carriages in total and you get free coffee in a paper cup.

It's the old GNER stock I think - the big comfy chairs? Always used to love it when I worked in Newcastle and happened to get one of these down to Durham.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

On one project a few years ago I used to get the train to Chester from London once a fortnight. I found that sitting in the quiet carriage free of distraction and sans internet I was exceptionally productive, I wrote pretty much all of the core code for what eventually became a product sold (by the software house I was working for, not me sadly) to about 20 customers on those trains.

I always used to buy my ticket on the morning of travel. It was about £160, and this was nearly 10 years ago.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

HS1 has a domestic limit of 225kmh - used it to commute to London and once took a sat nav with me to confirm the speed - problem is always the 5 min wait at StP to get onto the right platform - ditto on the return journey at Ashford - so frustrating to pay a premium just to sit outside a station
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              HS1 has a domestic limit of 225kmh - used it to commute to London and once took a sat nav with me to confirm the speed - problem is always the 5 min wait at StP to get onto the right platform - ditto on the return journey at Ashford - so frustrating to pay a premium just to sit outside a station
              Saint Petersburg? wow!

Comment

Monday morning i get smoked salmon and scrambled egg, coffee, orange juice and toast - if I want it. All in a (mostly) quiet zone.
                Friday afternoon, I get a complementary drink in the 1st class lounge, V&T, drinks and eats on the train sometimes a cooked meal - depending on the time of the train.
                All in fairly empty carriages, with lots of room and really nice staff who are lovely.

And thanks to Virgin Traveller - it’s all free for 12 months
                I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

South Manchester - Skipton in a GERMAN vw golf TDI. 58 miles each way, cruise control 80% of the time, comfortable, quiet and costing £14 return in diesel.

German engineering for you. Mind you they are British roads

Tea and biscuits on the way as standard

Comment

Working...
                  X