• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taxation is theft

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    Cool, so you agree with me then - It's your opinion that I'm interested in....
    You really need to read properly what I've said. I do NOT agree with you.

I think there are moral absolutes, and it is possible for something to be legal and immoral (and illegal and moral). I do not think that taxation is theft. Taking from someone by force is not theft when it is mandated by the law. Similarly, state executions, since they are legal, are not murder.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
      Cool, so you agree with me then - It's your opinion that I'm interested in. Not what some piece of paper called "the law of some such land" says.
      Killing outside the remit of self-defence is murder, forcing sex without consent is rape, and taking from someone by force is theft.

Taxation is taking money from me by force, regardless of what is 'offered' in return. Therefore taxation, as opposed to voluntary trade, is theft.

We got there in the end! It's funny how one has to get some people to answer enough questions until they come around to the inescapable truth - even though they persist in not admitting it to themselves directly.
      Tax is the price of being part of a coherent society.

Try policing where you had to pay for an investigaton.
      Try health where you are unconscious after an accident, and they need your "consent" before before being taken to hospital for treatment.

Try a strategic longterm investment where you don't see the benefits for decades, or such things like airlines (without military investment, there wouldn't be the knowledge base), or satellites (you would have no mobile phones without the bottomless pit of money needed for military rocketry knowledge)

It's a tough one, and the issues are more about a reasonable taxation.
      And of course the slice the government takes.
      And the bottom section of society that seeks to milk systems.
      And the top section of society that seeks to milk systems through govenment contracts (knowing the tax-payer is underwriting everything, and essentially not operating a true business affected by supply and demand. weapons amnufacturers particularly, and pharmaceutical corps overcharging for meds)

It's a mess. But better than any other mess we can find anywhere else on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
        SO and ZL are the new CUK 6th form debating society.
        I thought they were the same person.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          I thought they were the same person.
          WGAS
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

And another thing:

re: "force" or "voluntary";

I don't have the knowledge to know if stem-cell research will result in any benefit in the future.
            Nor do I know if fusion will work.

How can you make a "voluntary" decision about blue-sky thinking?
            It's a social risk we are taking, and hopefully will benefit from.
            How could you possibly finance these through anything other than govt projects?
            (given the short-termism of most corps)

Comment

You lot do realise that this thread could go on ad infinitum, don't you?
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Isn't that true of any thread? Look at TPD. This one would be known as TIT
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  Like the ideal contract...

Keep calm and keep posting (invoices)

Comment

Working...
                  X