• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professionalism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Rarely is it as straightforward as your poll suggests.
    Finally some common sense. Have a +ive

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      Finally some common sense. Have a +ive
      +ve
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Rarely is it as straightforward as your poll suggests.
        I'm sorry but I didn't think an entire scenario was required.

Take your typical 3 month contract. You know what needs to be done, you know the deadlines, they are paying you to ensure they hit the deadline.

Another contract comes along, do you walk.....

Yes there are always different factors which my influence the decision. But I would love to hear reasons why people walk mid-contract as while I'm sure some are valid (no work needed doing, work could be done far cheaper by someone more junior) I doubt that is always the case.....
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
          +ve
          I think the answer to my previous question (Do you ever see yourself as a good contractor?) should be a resounding NO in your case. You should have been an English teacher instead.

Comment

I think the answer to my previous question (Do you ever see yourself as a good contractor?) should be a resounding NO in your case. You should have been an English teacher instead.
            You should value all learning opportunities.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Despite the deliberate plot by Eek, I'd say I agree and disagree with that. It is always good to complete a contract but it is usually not good to bail mid contract. In some cases where work has dwindled it can work for both client and yourself.
              And many other cases where the money/journey is better so F you I am off...
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                And many other cases where the money/journey is better so F you I am off...
                Is that how you would treat your clients?

Comment

Is that how you would treat your clients?
                  knowing NLUK, nope he has a horrendous commute and mine is just long (made slightly worse by the roadworks that have just started). As for the other person in this three way conversation....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    I'm sorry but I didn't think an entire scenario was required.

Take your typical 3 month contract. You know what needs to be done, you know the deadlines, they are paying you to ensure they hit the deadline.

Another contract comes along, do you walk.....

Yes there are always different factors which my influence the decision. But I would love to hear reasons why people walk mid-contract as while I'm sure some are valid (no work needed doing, work could be done far cheaper by someone more junior) I doubt that is always the case.....
                    The last time I walked out on a contract, there was a significantly better prospect of long-term work. Daily rate was lower than the incumbent client, but by the time costs were taken into account, it was a significant improvement and the prospect to do some more enjoyable work over a longer period.

No brainer.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

If the role was mis-sold to me, and it was a long contract, I might bail. With that being said every time it happens it's a learning experience with regards to interviewing clientCo next time.

Comment

Working...
                      X