• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professionalism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    At the moment, it seems clients/agents have conned us all into this not giving notice rubbish. If client does then thats fine because its business. If we do it its unprofessional.
    Conned us in to it? WTF is that crap about? No one has conned anyone.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hasn't it always been the case anyway, though, that notice period or not there is no obligation to provide you with invoiceable work?

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        No bull... gave notice on my very first contract over 20 years ago. Management changes with the client lead to me being ordered to be in the office at 09:00 and leaving no earlier than 17:00 daily. Office was next to terminal 4 and I was commuting from the midlands down the M40 every day. This was in deference to my previous hours of 08:00 to 16:00 which was bearable.

I have turned down renewals, one that took me up to the 24 months and I was living away during the week. One where client decided to renege on an agreed deal on my last day of my contract, claiming HR wouldn't allow it.

I have never just not turned up, that is extremely unprofessional.
        I am in the 4th week of my current contract and still haven't got a system log in. I can use my own email to 'read up' on stuff but after 3 weeks of reading I'm pretty much done.

I can't do anything until I have access and, strangely, I cancelled a holiday to start two weeks earlier than planned at the client's request.

I've worked out that so far, I've been paid around £80+ per A4 sheet of paper I've read. That sounds great, but it's mind-numbing and no-one seems that bothered. The wife tells me I should ask if they need any filing doing, but that's not going to happen.

I've been considering this 'professionalism' question the last week or so and, indeed, if this doesn't change, for my own sanity I'm going to have to find something else.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
          I am in the 4th week of my current contract and still haven't got a system log in. I can use my own email to 'read up' on stuff but after 3 weeks of reading I'm pretty much done.

I can't do anything until I have access and, strangely, I cancelled a holiday to start two weeks earlier than planned at the client's request.

I've worked out that so far, I've been paid around £80+ per A4 sheet of paper I've read. That sounds great, but it's mind-numbing and no-one seems that bothered. The wife tells me I should ask if they need any filing doing, but that's not going to happen.

I've been considering this 'professionalism' question the last week or so and, indeed, if this doesn't change, for my own sanity I'm going to have to find something else.
          If the rate is good then why leave? Get a laptop and start your own project up or retrain in a new skill.

Comment

I might be handing in my notice in the next couple of days. I don't have any problem with it and I know that they wouldn't have any quarms in serving me my notice if the roles were reversed. So long as you act by the terms of your contract then I don't see how its an issue.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
              I might be handing in my notice in the next couple of days. I don't have any problem with it and I know that they wouldn't have any quarms in serving me my notice if the roles were reversed. So long as you act by the terms of your contract then I don't see how its an issue.
              I have done this in the past and got it in the

Be careful NLUK doesn't see your post.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                I have done this in the past and got it in the

Be careful NLUK doesn't see your post.
                Well its been offered and I'll be handing my notice in as soon as I have signed the official paperwork. I won't be calling the other agencies to withdraw me from the other roles until I've started though.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post

The word is qualms!!!!!

Comment

I had a kiwi contractor and placed him on a 3 month contract. He finished the work in 6 weeks and left. the client was very happy . I on the other hand was out of pocket
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

FFS, "handing in your notice"? Bunch of disguised employees.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X