• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professionalism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    The last time I walked out on a contract, there was a significantly better prospect of long-term work. Daily rate was lower than the incumbent client, but by the time costs were taken into account, it was a significant improvement and the prospect to do some more enjoyable work over a longer period.

No brainer.
    As long as you leave on good terms with clientco then what's the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      As long as you leave on good terms with clientco then what's the problem?
      Something to do with the client not getting what he wanted possibly? Leaving on good terms is the best outcome of a bad situation.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If the money is good enough pretty much anyone would bail.

I almost bailed on a client when a potential gig came up with a day rate of £1200. The only reason I didn't was that I did not get it, even with no extensions I could have paid of my mortgage with that!
        Last edited by MyUserName; 9 April 2014, 08:48.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Depends on how much extra the other gig was paying and how good my client was but I'd give notice and leave without any guilt - I've had enough clients impose or attempt to impose rate cuts on my business so I guess that's hardened my attitude somewhat....
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

It would take a pretty dramatic set of circumstances for me to bail on a contract. In over 20 years contracting I've never done it. Politely refusing an extension is of course a totally different matter.

People bailing with little or no notice tars all contractors with the "unreliable" brush which is an accusation that many clients feel justified throwing about.

Having seen a fair few contractors bog off with no notice (more than a couple that simply failed to show up one day without even the guts or manners to call in and say they're leaving) I do treat people that abandon contracts as unprofessional and dislike the damage they do to my business as a consequence.

Comment

I have only bailed the once (in the first month) and that was due to it being horribly dull and not as described. It led to a month on the bench as I didn't have anything else lined up.

I have been in a couple of places where people just stopped turning up. One managed to do it twice with the same agent which shows agents really will swallow anything if the price is right.

Comment

Finished mid contract once by mutual consent when work dried up. Bailing otherwise is unprofessional in my view. But I've only had 4 contracts in 8 years of contracting, 2 of those at same client.
                Beer
                is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
                Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Some of you are full of it. Although I've got a feeling that what some of you would do if put in the situation is slightly different to what you preach on here about.

Bottom line is if there is a notice period in the contract then you have a contractual right to give notice. Same usually as the client has.

Not saying you should not turn up or not work notice period - that is unprofessional. Also, it needs to be considered carefully for business reasons. Appreciate that if you do bail then chances are client will probably never want you back in the future so doing it for £10/day is probably not a wise business decision. But thats it - its a business decision.

At the moment, it seems clients/agents have conned us all into this not giving notice rubbish. If client does then thats fine because its business. If we do it its unprofessional.

If clients are so worried about contractor leaving then insist on contract with no notice. But I guess they won't do that because then contractor is going to ask for a bit more in return for the lack of flexibilty.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    If clients are so worried about contractor leaving then insist on contract with no notice. But I guess they won't do that because then contractor is going to ask for a bit more in return for the lack of flexibilty.
                    Many clients now insist on a no-notice clause.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      Many clients now insist on a no-notice clause.
                      Fair play then. If thats what they require as part of they're business plan then fair enough. If contractor feels they're able to provide this and whether the rate reflects this then fair enough.

Just don't bleat when the notice period is in there and it gets invoked.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X