• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you go to a gay wedding?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sirja View Post
    This is what worries me a bit. If as you say 30 years ago Homosexuality was not right, but today it's being celebrated, then what can we expect in the next 30 years? What behaviors that we frown on today will be celebrated and promoted 2044? Where does it end?
    Who knows? Is that a problem?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      It's not an excuse. It's a central part of the formulation of Christianity - the fulfilment of the Torah on our behalf by Jesus, so we don't have to keep it.
      However I have never heard a Christian say that the OT is "not relevant". It is massively relevant to the OT... just as past laws in our country that may have been repealed are still relevant to our history, current legal system, and culture.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
        This is what worries me a bit. If as you say 30 years ago Homosexuality was not right, but today it's being celebrated, then what can we expect in the next 30 years? What behaviors that we frown on today will be celebrated and promoted 2044? Where does it end?
        the line should be drawn at informed consent. Homosexuality can be consensual. Paedophilia or bestiality can't be. Incest is bad for the Gene Pool, in my opinion we should start excluding first cousins from marrying.

The Gay people I know are Gay from an early age, despite some preachers beliefs its not a choice. So long as they consensually sleep with people over the age of consent it seems odd to punish them for it or treat them as different as Hetrosexuals.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          *Yawn*

I have had the in laws over for a large part of this weekend and have already heard this very conversation bounce back and forth a dozen times.
          Well, you obviously weren't paying attention, otherwise you wouldn't have made such an ignorant, factually incorrect comment.

I know a few gay people who seem to have made the choice to become homosexual - after being apparently happily heterosexual for years. Of course, the argument given is that they were always "really" gay. The idea that sexual orientation is fixed is relatively new. In the 80s, it was seen by the gay community as a choice. There was even a poster in the SU offices saying "Go on, become homosexual" - such a poster would be banned now!

I don't think there is a clear split between gay and straight. Some people are more gay or more straight than others - it seems to me that it is more a spectrum of preference.

The current orthodoxy among psychiatrists is that sexuality is fixed, same sex attraction is not pathalogical, and it would be damaging to attempt to change it. But psychiatry is not a science, so we can't really know. Further, it is in the interests of the anti-gay lobby to argue that it isn't fixed, and in the pro-gay lobby to argue that it is. Hence it seems to me that the idea that sexuality is fixed or not may be more to do with politics than actuality.

What two people get up to in private (or within limits, in public), I couldn't care less.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Who knows? Is that a problem?
            It might be if you're in a gay marriage now!
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              the line should be drawn at informed consent. Homosexuality can be consensual. Paedophilia or bestiality can't be. Incest is bad for the Gene Pool, in my opinion we should start excluding first cousins from marrying.

The Gay people I know are Gay from an early age, despite some preachers beliefs its not a choice. So long as they consensually sleep with people over the age of consent it seems odd to punish them for it or treat them as different as Hetrosexuals.
              Some gay activists would like as many people to be gay as possible, the rationale being that the more people are gay, the more normal it will seem to the rest of society and the less discrimination suffered as a result.

So, you get people like Peter Tatchell who want to go into schools and help children make informed choices about their sexuality, basically by talking about the things that gay people get up to together, and he seems to think more people will embrace the gay lifestyle as a result.

If we are talking about lines being drawn, I'd suggest that they be drawn to prevent this kind of corruption from ever being allowed to happen. Sometimes you just get a gut instinct about something being wrong and normally one turns out to be justified in one's feelings. Well, this is one of those issues and my gut instinct is that teaching kids about gay sex is very, very wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Well, you obviously weren't paying attention, otherwise you wouldn't have made such an ignorant, factually incorrect comment.
                That is your view but as the bible is, essentially, the big book of multiple choice plenty of Christians disagree with you and have received telepathic communication from their god confirming their stand point.

Whichever way you want to split the hairs is merely just polishing a turd.
                "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
                  Some gay activists would like as many people to be gay as possible, the rationale being that the more people are gay, the more normal it will seem to the rest of society and the less discrimination suffered as a result.

So, you get people like Peter Tatchell who want to go into schools and help children make informed choices about their sexuality, basically by talking about the things that gay people get up to together, and he seems to think more people will embrace the gay lifestyle as a result.

If we are talking about lines being drawn, I'd suggest that they be drawn to prevent this kind of corruption from ever being allowed to happen. Sometimes you just get a gut instinct about something being wrong and normally one turns out to be justified in one's feelings. Well, this is one of those issues and my gut instinct is that teaching kids about gay sex is very, very wrong.
                  Section 28 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You 'ist'

I think there is a balance and teaching them its bad is one side and teaching them its good is the other. I'm happy to tell them its OK.

Those that were apparently heterosexual may well have done that to 'fit in' there are a few people who have mentioned such pressures, many gay people go on straight dates early on because it is expected off them.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

the line should be drawn at informed consent. Homosexuality can be consensual. Paedophilia or bestiality can't be
                    Sure they can. You don't think a horse will let you know if it doesn't like what you're doing? You only have to read a James Herriot book to see animals make it pretty clear when they're consenting rather than forced into doing something!

How exactly you're determining a Child is gay could be a whole other Thread. Whether sexuality is Nature or Nurture (I'm sure like most things it's a mixture, or even varies from person to person) I don't really find relevant.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Section 28 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You 'ist'

I think there is a balance and teaching them its bad is one side and teaching them its good is the other. I'm happy to tell them its OK.

Those that were apparently heterosexual may well have done that to 'fit in' there are a few people who have mentioned such pressures, many gay people go on straight dates early on because it is expected off them.
                      Yes, but this is going into schools and teaching kids about specific gay sex acts. I really do draw the line way short of that.

Comment

Working...
                      X