• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who benefits from migrants?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

indeed so most definetly benefitting from migrants then!

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
      It is a really strange system where in some circumstances it pays more to be out of work than in it, there are people who are genuinely trapped and then there are thoses who are just bone idle
      It's because of the inflated cost of housing. People are living in areas where even if they were working 2 jobs, they wouldn't be able to afford the rent. But what can you do? You move all these people into lower cost housing in different areas, and they end up as ghetto's.
      If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
        It's because of the inflated cost of housing. People are living in areas where even if they were working 2 jobs, they wouldn't be able to afford the rent. But what can you do? You move all these people into lower cost housing in different areas, and they end up as ghetto's.
        I see your point in relation to say London but in Wales they don't have to contend with cost of inflated housing and there seems to be sufficient enough stock here.

The majority of my relatives fall into the bone idle category and also a lot of the people I went to school with, obviously that's just my personal experience but I tend to trust that more than statistics that are banded around.
        Last edited by The Spartan; 6 March 2014, 12:38.
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
          The "lower cost area" thing is a bit of a myth as well. A few years ago I made a spreadsheet of housing costs + season ticket costs for various towns around 1.5-2 hours away from London. It turned out that wherever I lived would cost about the same as where I was (in London) to within £150 a month or so, if I was commuting into London. You need to relocate a long way and find a different job to really save money.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            The "lower cost area" thing is a bit of a myth as well. A few years ago I made a spreadsheet of housing costs + season ticket costs for various towns around 1.5-2 hours away from London. It turned out that wherever I lived would cost about the same as where I was (in London) to within £150 a month or so, if I was commuting into London. You need to relocate a long way and find a different job to really save money.
            Yes - by lower cost area I was referring to somewhere far enough away to avoid the property price inflation caused by being in a city's commuter belt.
            If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Which is quite a lot of money to many people

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                It is a really strange system where in some circumstances it pays more to be out of work than in it, there are people who are genuinely trapped and then there are thoses who are just bone idle
                Truly strange.

I know kids of my friends, who are doing courses.
                You can claim some form of benefit, but only if you do less than 20 hours a week (I think) of courses.
                If you want to spend more time studying, you lose benefits.

So, you are penalised for trying to better yourself with training and education.
                Strange system indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by evilagent View Post
                  Truly strange.

I know kids of my friends, who are doing courses.
                  You can claim some form of benefit, but only if you do less than 20 hours a week (I think) of courses.
                  If you want to spend more time studying, you lose benefits.

So, you are penalised for trying to better yourself with training and education.
                  Strange system indeed.
                  This. Again, we have failing education policy and that's a bigger problem than failing immigration policy.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    Which is quite a lot of money to many people
                    Yes but in the context i'm talking about less than 10 percent, and being in the most expensive place to rent gave lower overall cost than living in most of the commuter towns.
                    Last edited by doodab; 6 March 2014, 13:57.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Put bluntly as long as unskilled workers refuse to do the unskilled jobs and would rather sit on benefits (or aspire higher to skilled jobs) migrants will always be needed
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X