• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New car time - new/used/PCP/loan?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    So I'm booked in to test drive a new Ford Fiesta today (one of the 1.0 EcoBoost engines) and I might ask to test drive a Focus too (more on that later).
    We can't afford a new Focus...
    So, am I right in saying that I should seriously consider the 1 year old Focus over a new or nearly new Fiesta?
    Seriously, are you sure you're a contractor?

A Ford (insert any type really) especially a Fiesta/Focus is not cut out to be a contractor's car...
    Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
      Seriously, are you sure you're a contractor?

A Ford (insert any type really) especially a Fiesta/Focus is not cut out to be a contractor's car...
      C'mon, GT40 shirley

Comment

Also, lost service manual so no written service history.
        Not worth the paper it's written on.

I have several friends who got their service books stamped by the garage they started to use regularly a year or three later.

Also there was an old scram where people use to fake main dealer stamps.

When I get rid of old cars I just hand the buyer my servicing and MOT receipts. (Happens at the same time.) They can walk around to the garage and check with them if they want as it's all on computer.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

mighty mondeo number 2 (last one was a write off with an idiot driving in the side leading to £500 repairs) still going. costs < £600 a year including insurance. If you aren't doing any miles then it being a non eco car isn't much of an issue.

Dirt cheap as well, anyone can fix them.

Or a Honda, they seem to just go.

Cash not loan!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            I don't think he cares about looks. But he should be swayed by durability, reliability and reasonable costs.
            and he can have all those and a funky car as well. Bargain!!
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              mighty mondeo number 2 (last one was a write off with an idiot driving in the side leading to £500 repairs) still going. costs < £600 a year including insurance. If you aren't doing any miles then it being a non eco car isn't much of an issue.

Dirt cheap as well, anyone can fix them.

Or a Honda, they seem to just go.
              and did you know they are quite funky!
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No.

I don't think so but I'll discuss this when I'm at Ford today.

I'm aware of that, but on the other hand I have a much newer, nicer car than what I had before and hopefully one that is more reliable (obviously there's no guarantees here). I obviously need to sit down and work out the proper TCO over 5 years including servicing etc. as best I can. OTOH, VED is £0 on the Fiesta and £20 on the Focus, versus £135 on my old car, and should also be more fuel efficient saving money in petrol.

Servicing depends on whether or not I do get it done at the main dealer but I'll try and get some ballpark costs from the dealer (and I know the main dealer isn't always the cheapest option).
                I think your problem is you chose the wrong car. Plenty of Diesel VW Golfs/Bora, Skoda Octavia and VW Passats on the road that have done up to 200,000 miles with just servicing, changing of brakes, cam belt done to them.

Seat Ibiza is a cheapened VW polo and by the sounds of it you were unlucky in what you ended up with.

If you are really wanting to save money then get a Japanese car with low mileage that has been driven by an old lady (for her monthly shop). almost 4 years ago I bought a Toyota Corolla with 6,000 miles on it that was 6 years old, I kid you not it looked like it had just been driven out of the showroom. cost me 5750 and Mrs has been driving it for 4 years. Only maintenance I have done is yearly service and 1 break pads change in 4 years!

Comment

+1 for the jap cars (I'll take NLUK's word about the funkiness of the civic though)

Comment

The feedback so far has been useful, thanks. I'm arranging to go and see the 1.6 Fiesta I posted above this afternoon. TBH, I've almost convinced myself. £6.2k, 22K miles, looks to be in very good condition, only 4 years old (so still latest model but not with the recent facelift). High end trim, has all the extras I want.

Only sticking point is the Cat D issue. Is this really something to worry about?

As was posted above, even if I'm really unlucky and end up spending £3k on this one, its still cost me less overall. However, in all likelihood I'm sure this will be a bit more reliable than my 2003 Seat Ibiza.
                    You can get a pretty damn good car for that amount of money. Can't see the point in getting a Fiesta tbh. I'd always go German or Jap for a run around car.

Comment

there are soo many used cars you can get (non cat d) which cost less than 5k and will give you a good few years of trouble free motoring...

just go onto autotrader put in your parameters and away you go...

to help you click Link
                      Last edited by original PM; 5 March 2014, 09:52.

Comment

Working...
                      X