• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New car time - new/used/PCP/loan?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The base price of a Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost titanium is £15K. Chuck in some options and you are looking at £17K for a city car with a Ford badge.

Anyone else think that's a bit mental?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      The base price of a Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost titanium is £15K. Chuck in some options and you are looking at £17K for a city car with a Ford badge.

yep

fookin bonkers

Comment

I'm looking at buying a BMW 330d/320d which is a couple of years old for that amount of money. Ludicrous

Comment

OH seems pretty set on getting a car no more than 3 years old, so we're still thinking about it, but still seem pretty set on the nearly new Focus. I haven't quite come to terms with spending that amount of money but hey, it should pay for itself in the long run.

The only possible spanner in the works is the Hyundai i30 which seems to be quite well kitted out even in the basic trim and has a lot of good reviews that rank it up there with the Focus (although not quite up to Golf standards). The entry level i30 would save us a couple of grand. I know everybody says Japanese cars are reliable, not so sure about Korean. We are going to test drive both. Oh, and it has a transferrable 5 year warranty too, so we'd still have 4 years warranty left on a 1 year old one, vs only 2 on a Focus.
          Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 5 March 2014, 12:21.

Comment

We've definitely ruled out a new car, including the Fiesta. If I wanted to get a Fiesta Titanium, I'd buy the 4 year old one in mint condition I looked at yesterday for £8700.

But we've decided that if we're thinking longer term and want to own the car for as long as possible, we could do with the extra space a Focus or equivalent brings.

I certainly wouldn't buy a Focus new, given the amount of money they lose in the first year, but longer term I'm not so worried about depreciation. If we can make a nearly new Focus last 10 years, then our overall annual motoring cost won't have increased much at all.

All the reviews say if you want a family sized hatch, the choice is between a Focus or Golf, with the i30 and Mazda 3 as possible options. There's the Seat Leon too, but lets just say I'm off the idea of a Seat.
            Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 5 March 2014, 12:22.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              OH seems pretty set on getting a car no more than 3 years old, so we're still thinking about it, but still seem pretty set on the nearly new Focus. I haven't quite come to terms with spending that amount of money but hey, it should pay for itself in the long run.

The only possible spanner in the works is the Hyundai i30 which seems to be quite well kitted out even in the basic trim and has a lot of good reviews that rank it up there with the Focus (although not quite up to Golf standards). The entry level i30 would save us a couple of grand. I know everybody says Japanese cars are reliable, not so sure about Korean. We are going to test drive both. Oh, and it has a transferrable 5 year warranty too, so we'd still have 4 years warranty left on a 1 year old one, vs only 2 on a Focus.
              Why would you get a s**t car for 6k that is 3 years old when you can get a great car for 6k that is 5 years old?

Toyota Auris 1.6 V-Matic TR 5dr MM [6]

Full dealership history and will run forever. done 26k and will do another 126k without a problem.

Find one privately and you can get another 1k off that price.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                Why would you get a s**t car for 6k that is 3 years old when you can get a great car for 6k that is 5 years old?

Toyota Auris 1.6 V-Matic TR 5dr MM [6]

Full dealership history and will run forever. done 26k and will do another 126k without a problem.
                What tulip car? I'm looking at a 1 year old car (Focus/i30) in the region of £8-11k. None of the reviews out there (and there are loads) would suggest that either of these are tulip cars.

Auris reviews don't seem that great in comparison to a Focus/i30 etc.

Comment

If all that concerns you is warranty get a Kia with 7 years warranty.

Their latest cars are pretty good too.

Comment

If all that concerns you is warranty get a Kia with 7 years warranty.

Their latest cars are pretty good too.
                    No, it's not the only thing, but the 5 year warranty adds to the selling points of the i30. I looked at Kia's and the reviews seemed pretty rubbish.

Comment

A vote for Hyundai here. Mrs Bloggs and the kids share two i20's between them. We've had the i20's for three and a bit years. Both motors trouble free other than a minor gearbox leak on one of them, fixed under the five year warranty. You could do a lot worse than an i30 in my opinion.

I'm also a Skoda fan, I drive a Superb 4x4 diesel, in the i30 class you could look at an Octavia, a very nice motor. No five year warranty though, but they are very reliable and well put together.
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X