• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bad time of year for new contracts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad time of year for new contracts?

Just wondering how everyone else is finding the market. I've had a couple of months bench time no, plenty of interest in my CV, plenty of submissions going forwards around 5 face-to-face interviews and a few telephone but no offers yet. Over a decade of IT based experience and over a year contracting (so fairly newbie contracting wise).

Either I'm up against a lot of strong competition or need to improve my interview/sales skills!

I work on the fluffy side of dev and UI design...

Thanks folks!

Originally posted by Erebus View Post
    Just wondering how everyone else is finding the market. I've had a couple of months bench time no, plenty of interest in my CV, plenty of submissions going forwards around 5 face-to-face interviews and a few telephone but no offers yet. Over a decade of IT based experience and over a year contracting (so fairly newbie contracting wise).

Either I'm up against a lot of strong competition or need to improve my interview/sales skills!

Thanks folks!
    Don't know how to break it to you but the market is booming.....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

If you do UI stuff then you shouldn't have problem getting a role unless you only want to work in a small area.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks folks!
        Fluffy? You mean cloud based?
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          Fluffy? You mean cloud based?
          I was assuming UI and fluffy as in not actually producing anything useful apart from photoshop designs....
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I have heard various people claim the market was bad when what happening was they were restricting themselves to areas and niches where there was no work.

Where are you prepared to work?
            What business experience do you have?

What UI skills are you experienced in?
            Is all of your 10 years doing the same thing or do you only have a year or two in the market you are looking at?
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

In the UK, leading up to April can be an issue for some companies.

Have you thought about expanding your search radius? Out of curiosity what is it currently?
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                In the UK, leading up to April can be an issue for some companies.

Have you thought about expanding your search radius? Out of curiosity what is it currently?
                good advice - need to be flexible on location

one day at a time

Comment

I'm about to start looking for a gig this week so I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Thanks folks!
                    Have you filled out the questionnaire?

Welcome.

You need to fill out the CUK questionnaire.

Q1) Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?
                    A1)
                    Q2) Have you ever seen a grown man naked?
                    A2)
                    Q3) Do you like films about gladiators?
                    A3)
                    Q4) Do you own your own copy of the film "Glad he ate her"
                    A4)
                    Q5) Have you bled your radiators recently?
                    A5)
                    Q6) Have you ever licked the chutney spoon and put it back?
                    A6)
                    Q7) Have you ever tried polishing the Ninja?
                    A7)
                    Q8) Do you read the daily mail?
                    A8)
                    Q9) What is the value of your house?
                    A9)
                    Q10) How do you feel about giant alien lizards?
                    A10)

Also please provide 2 references.

TIA

The CUK mob
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X