• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bad time of year for new contracts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As someone who never spent much time on the bench until last 12 months its been an eye-opener.

Gig ended last June. Was lucky enough to pick something up within a week - only short term though.

September then went on hol and planned to get something for October. Market was ok it seemed, not great but not bad. But, took me until December to get something.

Even though warchest was ok didnt plan on this long so gig I took was a bit of a low payer.

After xmas market seemed to pick up again. Wasnt planning on staying with gig too long but I'm still here :-(

What I have noticed the last few weeks is a lot of fake adverts, gigs that allegedly get canned or put on hold. Not sure if this is due to upcoming financial year end but its been weird.

Hoping things will get a bit more sensible come new financial year. What does everyone else think?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Erebus View Post
      Thank you for the sensible answers folks, for the not so sensible I bet you are a pure joy to work with.

Seriously - It sounds like I need to up my game at the interview stage then.
      Are you been told the role is filled, it could be that they are looking early but will not start hiring for another couple of weeks. Also they may offer the role to someone else, they may not turn up, you may get a call. (This is when you ask for more money) So keep looking, but don't burn any bridges.

I try not to go to F2F without a phone interview, mainly because I am not in the country, but the phone interview will give you a better idea about the role. Also makes it look like you are too busy to go to see them. (More money)

HTH
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        I used to have a VAXStation called Erebus.
        Cool! I didn't pick the handle for that reason but it makes it extra awesome now!

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
          Are you been told the role is filled, it could be that they are looking early but will not start hiring for another couple of weeks. Also they may offer the role to someone else, they may not turn up, you may get a call. (This is when you ask for more money) So keep looking, but don't burn any bridges.

I try not to go to F2F without a phone interview, mainly because I am not in the country, but the phone interview will give you a better idea about the role. Also makes it look like you are too busy to go to see them. (More money)

HTH
          I think telephone interviews are essential. It's not about being too busy, but it gives both sides a chance to figure out if it's worth investing in an interview.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            As someone who never spent much time on the bench until last 12 months its been an eye-opener.

Gig ended last June. Was lucky enough to pick something up within a week - only short term though.

September then went on hol and planned to get something for October. Market was ok it seemed, not great but not bad. But, took me until December to get something.

Even though warchest was ok didnt plan on this long so gig I took was a bit of a low payer.

After xmas market seemed to pick up again. Wasnt planning on staying with gig too long but I'm still here :-(

What I have noticed the last few weeks is a lot of fake adverts, gigs that allegedly get canned or put on hold. Not sure if this is due to upcoming financial year end but its been weird.

Hoping things will get a bit more sensible come new financial year. What does everyone else think?
            I get a lot of that. Apply for a job, it actually fits what you cater for perfectly, agent calls back, it's gone! Whether it really is or it didn't exist in the first place who is to say.

I get a very high number of cold calls. My skillset is hybrid, I'd describe myself as a front end developer that understands, can and does execute visual design very well. With that in mind I get approached from both sides (a lot of the time way off the scale too far one end) but most roles are very purist wanting a straight up skill set.

So maybe part of it is I need to pick a side, do some private work to demonstrate that and then start pitching.

Speaking to an agent today they confirmed there are a lot of roles out there but also very strong competition with a high number of applicants.

I'm also hoping things pick up after the financial year. Clearly I need to work on honing and selling myself better for particular roles but it's frustrating when you know you are good at what you do, want to get stuck into something challenging and earn a few bucks but see companies passing you over for in some instances candidates with less experience or a smaller range of skills.

Of course said candidates were no doubt cheaper so then as you say you start to consider lowering your rate, even though you know your original rate was a very fair market rate!

And then finally you start a thread in a forum to validate it really is just the market and the world isn't suddenly against you ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              I think telephone interviews are essential. It's not about being too busy, but it gives both sides a chance to figure out if it's worth investing in an interview.
              Absolutely! Saves wasting time and money both ends. Agents who are fair and ethical will probably agree too. Some push you for face-to-face with no choice, I'm also finding those are the roles where you get to the interview and you know it's a dead duck straight away as what your offering isn't aligned to the role or vice-versa, despite what the spec said (also noticing specs are very broad).

Comment

HTH
                Good advice. Yes, always they picked 'x' other person. Always positive feedback bar they picked them for 'x' or 'x' reason which I didn't appear to have. Quite possible and also possible I'm not selling myself well enough, I'm also extremely honest (which I consider a good thing of course). Possibly need to be more optimistic about any potential negative points though.

Comment

Fail. Redo against question numbers.
                  Booooo, no fair. I'll leave you to match the questions with the answers ;-)

Comment

Which is why agents are notoriously bad at letting you know after interview that you havent got it the gig.

They want you hanging on in reserve in case the 1st choice declines/doesnt show up etc. If they've already told you you've not got it then chances are you'll lost interest/find something else.

Comment

Going to start insisting on this to be honest. Face-to-face with no phone first potentially means a days billing missed for nothing.

Comment

Working...
                      X