• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Year of code

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I never saw what scratch was for. You add a cat to the screen and make it go meeoww 10 times. Not exactly enthralling for a kid with an XBox360.
    DirtyDog's kids don't have xbox 360s, they play draughts until 7 and then get locked in their bedrooms.

Comment

http://www.yearofcode.org/index.html works a bit better.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        DirtyDog's kids don't have xbox 360s, they play draughts until 7 and then get locked in their bedrooms.
        Sounds better than letting them sit fixed-eyed in front of the 360 for hours.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          I never saw what scratch was for. You add a cat to the screen and make it go meeoww 10 times. Not exactly enthralling for a kid with an XBox360.
          It's the fact that one's made it happen oneself, rather than passively consuming somebody else's achievement. That's why kids do their own paintings and build stuff out of Lego, rather than just cutting pictures out of magazines and buying ready-assembled models.

Anyway, cats? They're lucky to have cats on the screen. When I was a game dev, we just had grey boxes moving around most of the time, pending our overworked and underpaid artist finding time to sort out the real sprites

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I think I disagree with admin on this one. Not that it's easy to teach coding, but that this isn't the point.

I was never taught to code, I was interested and learned on my own as a direct result of being exposed to it by my father... who was by no means a professional programmer but an electrics guy who had had to learn when computers entered his industry. He only knew BASIC but could write little programs and that got me interested.

If teachers know enough to get kids playing and interested, that would be plenty. A generation of kids who learn for fun, the same way kids used to when they had to type in games code from a magazine, or when kids used to muck about with electrical circuits, is all we need. They don't need to be taught, just inspired... nearly all our professional athletes were initially taught by fairly average PE teachers and/or parents.
            Yes but your Dad obviously had an interest and his enthusiasm and knowledge was passed on to you to create that interest. A teacher who is stuffed to the gills with too much to do already is less likely to pass on that enthusiasm.

Comment

KUATB
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                No, that link belongs in the threads with zero replies thread

(The one that Doogie spoiled by replying to )
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Reminds me of this

What is Clocks? with Philomena Cunk.

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                    How many primary schools have a woodwork space that can be used by the whole class?
                    6 year olds running amok with lathes, drills, chisels, planes and saws might create a few health and safety issues as well...
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

What is clocks?

What a cunk!

Comment

Working...
                      X