• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is wrong with The Guardian?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Completely hangs for me most of the time, have to close IE with Task manager. They must be using a rightie bastard exclusion script!
    It's fair game to provide a basic experience to older versions of IE (less than 8 IMHO), but doing so via a script that cripples older browsers as a side effect would be breathtakingly incompetent.

Sadly, I increasingly find that the "bright sparks" (i.e. younger, supposedly brighter, certainly cheaper) of web development nowadays are fundamentally incompetent when it comes to, um, web development. Sky blocking Jquery's CDN the other day ought to have been a wake-up call, but has instead been dismissed as ignorable incompetence by the incompetent who regard themselves as the elite.

It's not just a Grauniad thing. Sadly, a lot of the finest who used to spread light in such outfits have either made a success of their own business or been hired by firms like Google and Twitter. I personally know a number of the smartest web devs in the UK who have gone down one of those roads. And I'm sorry, but I can't look after all the things they left behind by myself

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      It's fair game to provide a basic experience to older versions of IE (less than 8 IMHO), but doing so via a script that cripples older browsers as a side effect would be breathtakingly incompetent.

Sadly, I increasingly find that the "bright sparks" (i.e. younger, supposedly brighter, certainly cheaper) of web development nowadays are fundamentally incompetent when it comes to, um, web development. Sky blocking Jquery's CDN the other day ought to have been a wake-up call, but has instead been dismissed as ignorable incompetence by the incompetent who regard themselves as the elite.

It's not just a Grauniad thing. Sadly, a lot of the finest who used to spread light in such outfits have either made a success of their own business or been hired by firms like Google and Twitter. I personally know a number of the smartest web devs in the UK who have gone down one of those roads. And I'm sorry, but I can't look after all the things they left behind by myself

who cares what it looks like ? the content is rubbish.

a good place to go to buy a car I suppose
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

A recurring theme is that the designers/developers tend to have fairly beefy up to date boxes to test their stuff on and forget about the general public who have something older which started out life as a budget model.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

but doing so via a script that cripples older browsers
          Yeh but I'm using IE11, all supposed to be pretty standard now ain't it?

I'm very surprised by some errors on major sites. Kept getting a pop up, summit about "Scanstyles does nothing in Firefox". on the DT for weeks. It wasn't just me, so why not fixed sooner? Even backward compatibility to IE6 ain't that hard, just a handful of problems that affect major areas.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
          X