• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What is wrong with The Guardian?"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    but doing so via a script that cripples older browsers
    Yeh but I'm using IE11, all supposed to be pretty standard now ain't it?

I'm very surprised by some errors on major sites. Kept getting a pop up, summit about "Scanstyles does nothing in Firefox". on the DT for weeks. It wasn't just me, so why not fixed sooner? Even backward compatibility to IE6 ain't that hard, just a handful of problems that affect major areas.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    It's fair game to provide a basic experience to older versions of IE (less than 8 IMHO), but doing so via a script that cripples older browsers as a side effect would be breathtakingly incompetent.

Sadly, I increasingly find that the "bright sparks" (i.e. younger, supposedly brighter, certainly cheaper) of web development nowadays are fundamentally incompetent when it comes to, um, web development. Sky blocking Jquery's CDN the other day ought to have been a wake-up call, but has instead been dismissed as ignorable incompetence by the incompetent who regard themselves as the elite.

It's not just a Grauniad thing. Sadly, a lot of the finest who used to spread light in such outfits have either made a success of their own business or been hired by firms like Google and Twitter. I personally know a number of the smartest web devs in the UK who have gone down one of those roads. And I'm sorry, but I can't look after all the things they left behind by myself
    A recurring theme is that the designers/developers tend to have fairly beefy up to date boxes to test their stuff on and forget about the general public who have something older which started out life as a budget model.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    It's fair game to provide a basic experience to older versions of IE (less than 8 IMHO), but doing so via a script that cripples older browsers as a side effect would be breathtakingly incompetent.

Sadly, I increasingly find that the "bright sparks" (i.e. younger, supposedly brighter, certainly cheaper) of web development nowadays are fundamentally incompetent when it comes to, um, web development. Sky blocking Jquery's CDN the other day ought to have been a wake-up call, but has instead been dismissed as ignorable incompetence by the incompetent who regard themselves as the elite.

It's not just a Grauniad thing. Sadly, a lot of the finest who used to spread light in such outfits have either made a success of their own business or been hired by firms like Google and Twitter. I personally know a number of the smartest web devs in the UK who have gone down one of those roads. And I'm sorry, but I can't look after all the things they left behind by myself

who cares what it looks like ? the content is rubbish.

a good place to go to buy a car I suppose

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Completely hangs for me most of the time, have to close IE with Task manager. They must be using a rightie bastard exclusion script!

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    What is wrong with The Guardian?
    My first thought would be... a lot.

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    As I said about the BBC, the whole thing is leaning to the left..
    I preferred that joke the first time!

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    As I said about the BBC, the whole thing is leaning to the left..

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Completely hangs for me most of the time, have to close IE with Task manager. They must be using a rightie bastard exclusion script!

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    I notice in Firefox there is a Mobile link at top. I click and that's what I am seeing by in IE11 using my old shortcut. It's headed "You are viewing an alpha release of the Guardian’s responsive website"

Anyway, clicking on "Opt-out and return to standard desktop site" gives a new link that works in IE.

Latest UK news and comment | UK news | The Guardian

Old link that's weird

Latest news, sport and comment from the Guardian | The Guardian
    Blimey, thats a totally different webpage to the one I get: Latest news, sport and comment from the Guardian | The Guardian

Replied before your edit. I get your old link just fine, plus the new one but I also get this if I go to the old one and then select News-UK News from the links at the top

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I notice in Firefox there is a Mobile link at top. I click and that's what I am seeing by in IE11 using my old shortcut. It's headed "You are viewing an alpha release of the Guardian’s responsive website"

Anyway, clicking on "Opt-out and return to standard desktop site" gives a new link that works in IE.

Latest UK news and comment | UK news | The Guardian

Old link that's weird

http://www.theguardian.com/uk
    Last edited by xoggoth; 31 January 2014, 20:53.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Loaded in less than 10 seconds on all 3, IE 11, Firefox and Chrome for me...

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I like The Guardian!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    xoggy reads the Guardian?

works fine for me - IE11, although the banner ad is a bit slow to load.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    started a topic What is wrong with The Guardian?

What is wrong with The Guardian?

Technically with the website that is.

It looks fairly normal in Firefox but in IE it takes ages to load due to long running script and when/if it does it has a simple layout with no pictures. Guessing IE is loading the mobile version for some reason.

Anyone else seeing this?

Working...
X