• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No tulip, Sherlock

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have encounter migrant workers here who have a poor grasp of English but who are working so it doesn't always ring true I'm afraid. A few of the cleaning staff here infact speak little or next to no English yet they're fantastic at what they do
    No reason to doubt it but facts and statistics, not anecdotes and citing of individual cases, are the only sound basis for law.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      No reason to doubt it but facts and statistics, not anecdotes and citing of individual cases, are the only sound basis for law.
      Fair enough, I just don't like sweeping generalisations
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Properly obtained statistics are not the same thing as sweeping generalisations.

Does it not occur to you that, as professional persons, our experience is highly selective? We work in offices, stay at reasonable hotels etc and, unsurprisingly, largely see decent working migrants.

So how much time do we spend in run down areas, rough sleeping areas, doss houses, illegal squats etc to see the other side of it? In some part of the UK, 50%+ of people who present at homeless charities are foreign.

Its 80% in Boston
        BBC News - Boston has thousands of unrecorded migrants, council claims
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
          Shame there's no opt out, I'd happily take my own rubbish to the tip
          I think there is a balance but I suspect the reality is that many who get subsidies don't need them or shouldn't get them. The sight of all the council houses on the street having new BMWs outside them was a common one a few years ago. Now the council houses have been sold off its normally a battered mondeo out front or a company car.

We need to make those on benefits worse off than those working, then we have money we can spend on those that need it.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Properly obtained statistics are not the same thing as sweeping generalisations.

Does it not occur to you that, as professional persons, our experience is highly selective? We work in offices, stay at reasonable hotels etc and, unsurprisingly, largely see decent working migrants.

So how much time do we spend in run down areas, rough sleeping areas, doss houses, illegal squats etc to see the other side of it? In some part of the UK, 50%+ of people who present at homeless charities are foreign.

Its 80% in Boston
            BBC News - Boston has thousands of unrecorded migrants, council claims
            I think there may be crossed wires here but none of the articles you linked mention it's related to immigrants having little or no grasp of English
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              You should expect a hefty increase in council tax because Govt cuts amount of money given to councils.
              Revealed: The one in nine schools where English is not first language - Telegraph

Who so you think is paying for all the extra classroom assistants and translators? I'll give you a clue it isn't the EU. It us bloody mugs.

Comment

Working...
              X