• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rise of the slow driving early morning commuter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Oh, very tasty! Are those Rebels? I had to sell my Bay because I'd let it fall by the wayside - I was absolutely (and still am) gutted. I think my next treat will be a little bit of muscle, but all of my knowledge is VW (And all my tools are metric).
    They are indeed - hat tip for knowing that. Only the right hand one works.

Imperial tools are cheap at car boot sales :-) I was also lucky in beign given a load by folk who didn't need 'em any more.

I want one of those massive 60's or 70's surf dude station wagons next - fat chance.

Always fancied a Karmann Ghia too, but prices kept exceeding my budget...

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      They are indeed - hat tip for knowing that. Only the right hand one works.

Imperial tools are cheap at car boot sales :-) I was also lucky in beign given a load by folk who didn't need 'em any more.

I want one of those massive 60's or 70's surf dude station wagons next - fat chance.

Always fancied a Karmann Ghia too, but prices kept exceeding my budget...
      There are far too many amazing cars and far too little money and time in the world! Ditto on the Ghia's, and I've seen the aggrevation people have in getting parts and panels for them. I remember the first time I saw a Porsche 356 in the flesh - it didn't take many minutes to realise it wasn't likely to happen!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        You guys are heart attack and stroke fodder. Chill out a bit
        I rely on ramipril and bisoprolol instead. Then I can drive spaced-out and chilled-out
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          No-one is forced into stupid overtaking.

That's very sad, since you don't mention (and I'm not asking you to) the full details I have no idea of the relevance, unless he was slowing down a lot when being tailgated or something.

I do it for three reasons, firstly it gives said aggressive tailgater more chance to overtake, secondly it reduces the potential severity of any impact if I have to slow or stop suddenly and thirdly I use it as an attempt to illustrate the pointless nature of tailgating me as an attempt to make me go faster. If there is an opportunity I quite often just pull over and let the pillock past too, which quite often results me following them for a further 5-10 miles (at a sensible distance) illustrating their minimal gain.

I agree that bloke and the others I've seen doing it are idiots. I don't do that.
          The sad story of the guy was just an illustration of what can go wrong when people perceive you are pulling their chains. His demise was down to him slowing down because there was a child in the car (the thugs in question took that to mean He stamped on his brakes to piss them off) The rest was grim. We know this because thats what he told his wife before he went to bed with a headache when he got home...

Tailgating is also a subjective issue. There are clearly the tossers that now all seem to have moved from BMW to Audi's and just seem to like to be able to read the serial numbers on your number plate. But theres also the situations where even with your foot off the accelerator, your car ticks over faster than the car in front of you. You can't pull back from them because you would need to engage reverse to do so!

Also after using radar controlled cruise control for a few months, I can see why certain people start to dial the distance setting down to minimum settings because if you are doing 80 in the outside lane with the distance set at 75 foot from the car in front all of a sudden you find loads of muppets diving into your gap at 65mph

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            What do you have nice? I previously had a '68 VW Camper which had around 110bhp (way more than standard) - I once attempted a journey at 80mph ish on the motorway. It would sit there fine, but after filling up twice within 250 miles, I discovered that it was far more at home doing 60 with the trucks!
            Our T25 had a top speed of about 60 downhill with a strong tailwind. It means that even if you wanted to, you can't drive like a knut - you have to relax because whatever you do, it's not going to get you there faster.

The T4 on the other hand...
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
              The sad story of the guy was just an illustration of what can go wrong when people perceive you are pulling their chains. His demise was down to him slowing down because there was a child in the car (the thugs in question took that to mean He stamped on his brakes to piss them off) The rest was grim. We know this because thats what he told his wife before he went to bed with a headache when he got home...

Tailgating is also a subjective issue. There are clearly the tossers that now all seem to have moved from BMW to Audi's and just seem to like to be able to read the serial numbers on your number plate. But theres also the situations where even with your foot off the accelerator, your car ticks over faster than the car in front of you. You can't pull back from them because you would need to engage reverse to do so!

Also after using radar controlled cruise control for a few months, I can see why certain people start to dial the distance setting down to minimum settings because if you are doing 80 in the outside lane with the distance set at 75 foot from the car in front all of a sudden you find loads of muppets diving into your gap at 65mph
              A pet hate of mine. Leave decent gap and people pull into it making you leave a lessor gap to prevent them doing this.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                And the problem with that is...?
                Only problem here is the OP
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  A pet hate of mine. Leave decent gap and people pull into it making you leave a lessor gap to prevent them doing this.
                  So it isn't agents or clients? Or do you just have a lot of pet hates?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    I followed some t*t doing this all the way up the M6 - he was desperatly trying to get ahead of everyone by cutting lanes here there and everywhere always dropping into to people's brakeing space causing everyone to brake to maintain their distance (anyone who has done the M6 from the toll up to jct 27 will know exactly what I mean)

anyway he never got more than about 200 yards ahead of me in the 100 odd miles he then hit the M56 like me and ended up coming off the same junction on the M56 as me - but behind me! so he had put his and other people's lives at risk probably given himself a heart attack or something and for absolutely no benefit.

winker

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Only problem here is the OP
                      +1 unfortunately while I imagine him as a combination of Victor Meldrew and Frank Spencer I can't quite marry up the accurate image of 100% Victor Meldrew with 100% Frank Spencer.....
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X