• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do with £10k?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedSauce View Post
    I'm planning on wasting 5k taking 2 months off to backpack round Nepal and India.
    Watch your feet not the view when walking.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Why would it cost £5k to go backpacking?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Why would it cost £5k to go backpacking?
        flights and paying the bills while he was away?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          WVS

£700 on flights
          £2500 (generous £40 a day when i'm out there)
          £400 on equipment/insurance
          £1600 bills while i'm away.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            You can't count the cost of things you'd be paying whether you went or not! £5k gets you a luxury honeymoon, the whole point of backpacking is it's cheap!
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You can't count the cost of things you'd be paying whether you went or not! £5k gets you a luxury honeymoon, the whole point of backpacking is it's cheap!
              True, but in my head I'm paying rent that I'm not using so it feels like a cost

Comment

unless he rents his house out its still a cost for the purpose of budgeting for the holiday.

£5k might buy you a luxury honeymoon, but you still have to pay your council tax while on holiday so you need to find money for that.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                  Have you heard of Lazy portfolios? Simple to setup and manage and decent return long term. I have my excess money in a coffeehouse portfolio.
                  I'm looking into some kind of managed fund.

I'm not particularly well versed in the field of stocks and shares trading but I get the feeling that one always needs one ear to the ground - micromanagement in other words and I just don't have the time for this. Plus, of course, the risks are higher. Sure you can read up and research on what's a good buy but can you always trust the gen? I've been reading Hargreaves Lansdown's Investment News a lot recently and I tend to feel a bit bewildered each time.

But, then again, I like liquidity & to invest in stocks and shares you really need to be in for the long haul. I may just as well indulge in a life long pipe dream of making money from wheeling and dealing antique furniture.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
                    I'm looking into some kind of managed fund.

I'm not particularly well versed in the field of stocks and shares trading but I get the feeling that one always needs one ear to the ground - micromanagement in other words and I just don't have the time for this. Plus, of course, the risks are higher. Sure you can read up and research on what's a good buy but can you always trust the gen? I've been reading Hargreaves Lansdown's Investment News a lot recently and I tend to feel a bit bewildered each time.

But, then again, I like liquidity & to invest in stocks and shares you really need to be in for the long haul. I may just as well indulge in a life long pipe dream of making money from wheeling and dealing antique furniture.
                    I was in a similar position with this years ISA allowance, I split it over 2 funds and one has done really well (Old Mutual smaller UK companies), the other is an emerging market fund which has been less successful but still moderate growth.

Comment

That's a cheap honeymoon.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X