• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do with £10k?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    If risk averse, find a bank account paying more than 3.5%

I have a Clydesdale one (up to £3000 at 4%), and a Nationwide one (up to £2500 at 5%) where some of my savings sit that beats that mortgage rate.

These may not be available any more of course (Clydesdale opened last month, Nationwide about 10 months ago).
    I can't really be arsed to do this, you end up with dozens of accounts all with different special rate periods, requirements on what you pay in each month, having to have direct debits set up, etc. You can get a lot more that way but it becomes something you have to work at and my working time is spent doing work
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Is this 10k divi going to take you into the higher rate tax band?

If not, I'd love to know how you operate to still have a spare 10k at the end of the year.

I'm actually thinking of taking out a similar divi at the end of the year as I'm planning on making a few investments of my own. I'll be paying 40% on it mind you. I'd been paying into a pension for the last 10 years but I get a stronger and stronger suspicion that it will do no more than provide me with a bit of froth for my retirement.

Comment

Why are people still taking div's this late in the year? Don't many of you divi the full wack first month in and then put it somewhere to earn a percent or two more than the business account?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I can't really be arsed to do this, you end up with dozens of accounts all with different special rate periods, requirements on what you pay in each month, having to have direct debits set up, etc. You can get a lot more that way but it becomes something you have to work at and my working time is spent doing work
          yeah, fair enough

I quite enjoy squeezing the last few quid out of my savings so don't mind the hassle

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Why are people still taking div's this late in the year? Don't many of you divi the full wack first month in and then put it somewhere to earn a percent or two more than the business account?
          I generally spread mine through the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
            Not always. It's always good to have a pot of cash or some liquidity at hand for a rainy day.
            WSS. Depends whether:-

1. You can foresee ever needing this money back.
            2. If you do, can you withdraw it from mortgage or is it gone if its paid.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
              I generally spread mine through the year.
              Just out of interest... why?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Just out of interest... why?
                Obvious reasons would be to take dividends as the money becomes available, or to keep the company account at some threshold balance. I don't like to see my company account with only a few thousand in, irrational as that is!

Oh and also, many banks won't let you take more than £10k out in one go without getting this set up, so taking it in £10k chunks as invoices come in might be 'easiest'.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Coke and hookers!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I've £10k sitting in my account after taking a dividend. I have not yet maxed out my and the wife's ISAs for the current tax year so that would normally be where I'd put it. On the other hand I have a mortgage (taken out May 2013) charging around 3.5% which allows me to overpay more than £10k each year fee-free.

I'll have more dividends before April but which makes most sense - get the mortgage payments reduced now with immediate effect seems best to me?
                    Psst! wanna buy a recruitment agency?
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Deposit for another BTL. You know it makes sense.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X