• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Running

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by russell View Post
    Why do people run long distances every week for years when it's proven to destroy their body? Are they stupid or just ignorant?
    Oh look, a passive-aggressive thread to attack another poster because he wasn't getting enough attention in the other thread.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Oh look, a passive-aggressive thread to attack another poster because he wasn't getting enough attention in the other thread.
      As a newbie I think I'm rather missing something and now I feel foolish for responding originally...

Originally posted by Russells Profile
      Interests
      Running, finance.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        As a newbie I think I'm rather missing something and now I feel foolish for responding originally...
        No don't worry about it....as a relative newbie myself my advice is don't try to make sense of the General section

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Good for you.
          WSS

Well done Russell
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Is fast food a pleasure? I find most of it disgusting tbh.
            Mmm, MaccyDs

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              Why do people drink, are they stupid or just ignorant? Why do people eat fast food, are they just stupid or ignorant? Why do people.....you get the idea. At least with running there's a personal challenge and something to be proud of at the end, in my opinion, of course.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "Long Distance", though - I'll agree that running Ultra-Marathons and the like are well and truly crossing the line of it being bad for your health overall but there's something incredible about completing something you never thought you could do. I got talked into doing a civvie version of part of the Paratrooper selection (Paras' 10 - The Ultimate in 10 Mile Endurance Races). Toughest thing I've ever done, but there's not much that feels as good as crossing the finishing line! I'm doing it twice next year...

While the above race was tough as heck, I don't think running 6 - 13 miles a couple of times a week is going to kill me off any faster than anything else in modern life. I do limit the time I'm out with the 15kg of weight on my back though, that IS probably bad for you!
              "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Hmm. Just looked in here before I went running although my running is a nice gentle jog/amble on country footpaths, about 1 1/4 hours usually. Just brill on a nice sunny day. Serious marathons though, must be dead boring.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                  Why do people run long distances every week for years when it's proven to destroy their body? Are they stupid or just ignorant?
                  what's a long distance?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Mmm, MaccyDs
                    I was lead into temptation! Twice!
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                      what's a long distance?
                      I think this counts

http://www.retfordtimes.co.uk/s-Retf...ail/story.html

The guy is local to me and recently did a 100 mile run in less than 20 hours.
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X