• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've never wanted a cylindrical computer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    I suspect the problem may not be the hardware....
    That's MicroSh1te for you.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

My 4-year old £300 PC can open Excel just fine. So can my 5-year old MacBook running Windows8 in a VM.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Noticed it's assembled in the US of A. Could this be the beginning for poor quality productions for Apple?
        Probably not. The Americans invented the CNC machine and their high tech engineering and manufacturing capabilities are as good as anyone else's. The only reason production of this sort of stuff ever moved offshore in the first place was cost.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          My 4-year old £300 PC can open Excel just fine. So can my 5-year old MacBook running Windows8 in a VM.
          Hmm, because MS would never prioritise development and performance of the Windows version of it's products over those for other operating systems, would they?
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I have the Apple Cube, still got it in fact, PSU knackered though...

It's quite similar to the new Mac Pro in a nothing like it kinda way....

Comment

all that is missing is the Brabantia logo.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Probably not. The Americans invented the CNC machine and their high tech engineering and manufacturing capabilities are as good as anyone else's. The only reason production of this sort of stuff ever moved offshore in the first place was cost.
                What could possible go wrong.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Perhaps now MS Excel will not show the rainbow wheel when opening.
                  FWIW I just launched Excel from cold (i.e. not been used since last reboot, so not cached) on my MBA (mid-2011 model, 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB, OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)). I had 24 other applications already running, ranging from simple stuff like Calculator to known resource hogs like Xcode and Eclipse.

Excel started within three or so dock bounces (a second or so) and showed its splash screen for maybe a second, then auto-opened the last spreadsheet viewed, which happened to be SJD's spreadsheet. It then showed me the "Enable macros?" dialog which Microsoft use to cover their arses if I suffer at the hands of a number of terrible technical decisions they made in the early 90s, proving that it was fully up and running. No beachball at any time.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    Hmm, because MS would never prioritise development and performance of the Windows version of it's products over those for other operating systems, would they?
                    What the hell would be wrong with it if they did?
                    a)90%+ of users use the Windows version so of COURSE you prioritise it
                    b)Their developers know much more about Windows development than OSX
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      What the hell would be wrong with it if they did?
                      a)90%+ of users use the Windows version so of COURSE you prioritise it
                      b)Their developers know much more about Windows development than OSX
                      Actually, their Mac team know a lot more about OS X development than about Windows. The Mac version isn't just a sideline the Windows chaps knock out on rainy Thursday afternoons. IIRC the Mac Business Unit isn't even based in Redmond - they're down in San Francisco, as they work quite closely with Apple so need to be near Apple HQ.

Comment

Working...
                      X