• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The annual flu season debate with permies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I caught flu and took a few days off during my brief permie interlude; flu's really awful for permies. It combines with the general depression and misery of having a boss and having 360 degree assessments to produce symptoms akin to some dreadful affliction.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

If you are "crawling into work" you most likely don't have flu.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        You're lucky it wasn't TB.
        The doctor though it could be and I was sent for X-ray
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Anyone else had a run in with permies complaining about you turning up to work with bubonic plague?
          No. Cos I stay at home if I'm genuinely ill.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            If you are a permie and ill while on holiday you can claim the holiday back.....

HR hate it when you know more about the law than they do....
            I did this once, and I can confirm - yes, they do hate it. You need a doctor's note though.

If the permies don't catch it from contractors, they'll catch it from someone else. I stay at home if I'm sick, and bill/work from there.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I got cellulitis, and the early stages where I get looking at my leg going increasingly purple and thinking do a lose a half days billing going to my doc, it seemed to scare the hell out of the permies when they saw how bad it was

It was like the zombie apocalypse had started, but time off is money!
              Last edited by amcdonald; 23 October 2013, 12:02.
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
                Am currently on 4th day sick with the current severe cold/flu lurgy which I caught from the permies who were coughing and spluttering everywhere.
                Had my annual sniffles, after sitting opposite a French contractor who was sneezing everywhere. At least I'm pretty sure it was him.

I wouldn't think of taking a day off - The more permies and other contractors I can infect the better, as absenteeism and project delays all add to demand for contractors and extensions.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  I did this once, and I can confirm - yes, they do hate it. You need a doctor's note though.

If the permies don't catch it from contractors, they'll catch it from someone else. I stay at home if I'm sick, and bill/work from there.
                  Yup, and if ClientCo has said you cannot wfh?
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                    ... and thinking do a lose a half days billing going to my doc...
                    Surely as a contractor you just ask your doc to drop in to examine you in the evening.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      Had my annual sniffles, after sitting opposite a French contractor who was sneezing everywhere. At least I'm pretty sure it was him.

I wouldn't think of taking a day off - The more permies and other contractors I can infect the better, as absenteeism and project delays all add to demand for contractors and extensions.
                      That's the stuff OH!!!
                      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                      X