• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Keylogger Software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Fact is your kids will do what the hell they want within the boubndaries you have set them when they are younger...

stop snooping and start parenting
    This.

If you violate the trust by snooping on them, then if / when they need to come to you with an issue, you run the risk that they won't.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
      This.

If you violate the trust by snooping on them, then if / when they need to come to you with an issue, you run the risk that they won't.
      This is all very well but we don't know the circumstances. The OP may have reason to believe there is a real specific risk to safety.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        oh this is interesting because it seems to imply that us lot who grew up in the 70's 80's andf 90's could do anything we wanted because we did not have computers and therefore our parents would have no idea what we were doing because they could not install some tracking software on us.

Fact is your kids will do what the hell they want within the boubndaries you have set them when they are younger...

stop snooping and start parenting
        This is interesting because you seem to have totally missed the significance of computers and smartphones. Your parents would know what you were doing because if you were in the house you were safe. Have you not come across sexting, cyber bullying, internet grooming etc? So your parents knew what you were doing but were not snooping?

As it happens, this teenager wasn't with me when they were younger, but I don't think that is a significant factor. If you see the group chats that go on in skype there are several in their late teens who are talking about underage sex, soft drugs, alcohol, smoking. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, it's just teens trying to grow up, with the exception of the drugs these will all be legal activities in a couple of years time for them.

Comment

For goodness sake - talk to your off-spring, don't turn GCHQ on them.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Are you trying to capture all their passwords so that you can then log in and see what they have done? Or are you after a recording of everything that they type?
            I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Perhaps he's trying to determine where they've syphoned off the money in his savings account?
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                Are you trying to capture all their passwords so that you can then log in and see what they have done? Or are you after a recording of everything that they type?
                If it's the former, then the ruse isn't going to last long. Sooner or later they'll be out with their mates but will appear online in whatever app/site you're checking I would have thought.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                  This is interesting because you seem to have totally missed the significance of computers and smartphones. Your parents would know what you were doing because if you were in the house you were safe. Have you not come across sexting, cyber bullying, internet grooming etc? So your parents knew what you were doing but were not snooping?

As it happens, this teenager wasn't with me when they were younger, but I don't think that is a significant factor. If you see the group chats that go on in skype there are several in their late teens who are talking about underage sex, soft drugs, alcohol, smoking. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, it's just teens trying to grow up, with the exception of the drugs these will all be legal activities in a couple of years time for them.
                  A few things
                  1) But I was not always in the house so therefore when I was out of sight I could do what I wanted.

2) I am aware of many internet related things - I have two kids and we had a discussion on cyber bullying the other day - the youngest year old said that if you are getting cyber bullied just turn off your computer or block them. She said normal bullying was worse because it hurt and if you punched people back you got into trouble.

3) If the teenager was not with you when they were younger then yes you do not know what boundaries have been set however you still need to talk to them as people - and if they continue to be a d!ck and get into trouble what are you going to do about it anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Yeah, talking to teenagers is gonna work....
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                      If it's the former, then the ruse isn't going to last long. Sooner or later they'll be out with their mates but will appear online in whatever app/site you're checking I would have thought.
                      Good point.

If it's to generate a list of everything that they type, then you miss out on a large chunk of the conversation, things get taken out of context, and you have a large swathe of things to trawl through as well.

Are keyloggers smart enough to know which application you are typing in? Probably not, but you never know. And if it's only on a computer, then what's to stop the child using a tablet or phone? On-screen keyboards in place of a conventional one would also be an issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X