• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I need an Arab speaking Python Programmer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    What makes some people immigrate to a country where they face not be able to communicate with about 99.9% of the population ?
    Children and that includes teenagers can pick up English really quickly.

It would be better spending the money to immerse him in English completely i.e. 16 hours a day for 7 days a week, and then in a years time give him programming resources.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic Connor View Post
      That is being addressed by other means, though the language resources provided by LEAs are piss poor. I agree that he should learn English, I believe everyone should learn English even if they never come to Britain, but realistically it will be a couple of years before his English is good enough to understand phrases like "instantiate the functor object", by which point you'll have a 17 yo whose effective education level is that of an 11yo. For better or worse, this poor bastard will have to learn Physics, Python, Maths, History and Road Safety in a language he doesn't yet understand that uses an alphabet be barely can parse.

As Dr. Doodab says programming can be a good place to help him learn English and since speaking English less than perfectly is not a barrier to working in programming it may be a career for him.

No Stek, I have not checked his visa status, I have no interest in it at all.

That is not a "politically correct" position, my rather right wing view is that the success of any country is mostly determined by the quality of people in it. Thus if as a teenager this kid can get up to speed in programming despite the piss he has to wade through, then he is the sort of person I want in the UK, paying taxes and working here, not back home working for the competition and paying their taxes.
      Seriously though, UKBA consider working for free as work, and as his tacit employer you have a duty to check his visa status and right to work.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Children and that includes teenagers can pick up English really quickly.

It would be better spending the money to immerse him in English completely i.e. 16 hours a day for 7 days a week, and then in a years time give him programming resources.
        ^WYS

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          There is also an argument to be made that if he wants to learn programming he shouldn't be learning python.
          No there isn't.

HTH
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Codecademy Python course + Google Translate = Arabic Python course

Enjoy.
            England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Pretty sure my 15yo English speaking child wouldn't understand that phrase.
              My 12yo can, he's literally the poster child for the Royal Institution.
              My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Seriously though, UKBA consider working for free as work, and as his tacit employer you have a duty to check his visa status and right to work.
                I'm not his employer, he's a 15 yo at school, although I bitch about IT education in The Register, I don't just whine, but try to do something about it, his teacher put out a call for help. I doubt I will even meet this guy, let alone employ him.

I must confess that naively I had higher hopes for this request on CUK, congrats people, you've managed to annoy a pimp and fail to help a kid.
                My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

Comment

I'm not his employer, he's a 15 yo at school, although I bitch about IT education in The Register, I don't just whine, but try to do something about it, his teacher put out a call for help. I doubt I will even meet this guy, let alone employ him.

I must confess that naively I had higher hopes for this request on CUK, congrats people, you've managed to annoy a pimp and fail to help a kid.
                  Do you not think you 'shooting in the dark' is a bit of an understatement though? Arabic speaking python programmer that can work for free..... Not asking for a lot that is it?

I think bearing in mind you took this on technically it would be you that has failed the kid
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Do you not think you 'shooting in the dark' is a bit of an understatement though? Arabic speaking python programmer that can work for free..... Not asking for a lot that is it?

I think bearing in mind you took this on technically it would be you that has failed the kid
                    I've totally misread the initial post, I thought DC was wanting to employ (i.e. pimp out) the nipper as a trainee Pythoner, now I realise he's just wanted one of the millions of Arab-speaking Python programmers on here to tutor him for free.

This is General isn't?

Comment

Annoying a pimp is always worthwhile. How many kids have you failed to help today?

But best of luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X