• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Old Street, London - possible contract, information wanted

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Don't agree. Not shortish term anyway to scoop up a big pile of cash so I can take a year off to work on plan B full-time...
    that's after the cost of living/commuting to London? Must be a fair old whack, in which case it makes sense. So far I have not had a role in my line of work which makes it worthwhile to work in London when it comes to £££

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      that's after the cost of living/commuting to London? Must be a fair old whack, in which case it makes sense. So far I have not had a role in my line of work which makes it worthwhile to work in London when it comes to £££
      Yes, related to this thread: http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...-question.html

I have stable work at an acceptable (but nothing special) rate here in the NE which is 95% WFH. I'd only be taking this gig if it pays big.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Yes, related to this thread: http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...-question.html

I have stable work at an acceptable (but nothing special) rate here in the NE which is 95% WFH. I'd only be taking this gig if it pays big.
        Fair does, now I can see why you would be happy working in London for a while, 95% WFH would drive me mad!

Comment

Potential lucrative contract at a company located right next to Old Street tube station http://goo.gl/maps/LoeuE

I don't know London well so can anyone advise me on the area? Am I right that this is the silicon roundabout?

It'd be a weekly-commute and my preference is accommodation very close, i.e. walking if possible, or staying somewhere very close to another tube station. I would like to go the serviced apartment / aparthotel route - basically a modern studio apartment with a kitchen so I can cook and make sandwiches, etc. I have no interest in going to London all week and then slumming to save pennies, if I'm there I do it properly.

For instance this place came up Landmark Apartments, Short Stay Serviced - Rivington Street, London but I don't really know what the right search terms are.

Thanks for any information and/or recommendations.
          Old Street? Say no more D...

There is a pub in nearby Hoxton and the landladies smack head son serves up smack from behind the bar. Sometimes he falls asleep and people serve themselves free beer. I can PM you the address if you like. You will also come across squat parties around Old Street that are run regularly in disused buildings around there. You can pick up any gear you want in those places, so you should be ok to get blockup in the week.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
            Good luck doog. I will swing by for a cuppa on my way home sometimes if you take the role.
            A garage is going to push the cost up a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              A garage is going to push the cost up a lot.
              He ain't getting near my carpet bag now
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

I've seen how big that bag is in the film. It wouldn't touch the sides.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I've seen how big that bag is in the film. It wouldn't touch the sides.
                  You've watched the wrong version.
                  Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                  +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                    Old Street? Say no more D...

There is a pub in nearby Hoxton and the landladies smack head son serves up smack from behind the bar. Sometimes he falls asleep and people serve themselves free beer. I can PM you the address if you like. You will also come across squat parties around Old Street that are run regularly in disused buildings around there. You can pick up any gear you want in those places, so you should be ok to get blockup in the week.
                    I think I found it...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/previe...2uPg!2e0&fid=5

NB: zoom in in the board for maximum effect.

More concrete roundabout than silicon roundabout if I remember rightly.
                    Last edited by SantaClaus; 14 October 2013, 19:53.
                    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

My first ever IT job was in chiswick st... What a scary dump it was. Now it's full of tosspot arty types riding the silicon roundabout while being utterly clueless about who and what goes on after dark...

Plenty of prostitution, drugs and muggings abound for the unwary.

Bear in mind that old street is about ten minutes away from the Bank of England by foot so it's never going to be a cheap place to live

Comment

Working...
                      X