• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Old Street, London - possible contract, information wanted"

Collapse

• bobspud
    replied
    My first ever IT job was in chiswick st... What a scary dump it was. Now it's full of tosspot arty types riding the silicon roundabout while being utterly clueless about who and what goes on after dark...

Plenty of prostitution, drugs and muggings abound for the unwary.

Bear in mind that old street is about ten minutes away from the Bank of England by foot so it's never going to be a cheap place to live

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    Old Street? Say no more D...

There is a pub in nearby Hoxton and the landladies smack head son serves up smack from behind the bar. Sometimes he falls asleep and people serve themselves free beer. I can PM you the address if you like. You will also come across squat parties around Old Street that are run regularly in disused buildings around there. You can pick up any gear you want in those places, so you should be ok to get blockup in the week.
    I think I found it...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/previe...2uPg!2e0&fid=5

NB: zoom in in the board for maximum effect.

More concrete roundabout than silicon roundabout if I remember rightly.
    Last edited by SantaClaus; 14 October 2013, 19:53.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I've seen how big that bag is in the film. It wouldn't touch the sides.
    You've watched the wrong version.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I've seen how big that bag is in the film. It wouldn't touch the sides.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    A garage is going to push the cost up a lot.
    He ain't getting near my carpet bag now

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Good luck doog. I will swing by for a cuppa on my way home sometimes if you take the role.
    A garage is going to push the cost up a lot.

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Potential lucrative contract at a company located right next to Old Street tube station http://goo.gl/maps/LoeuE

I don't know London well so can anyone advise me on the area? Am I right that this is the silicon roundabout?

It'd be a weekly-commute and my preference is accommodation very close, i.e. walking if possible, or staying somewhere very close to another tube station. I would like to go the serviced apartment / aparthotel route - basically a modern studio apartment with a kitchen so I can cook and make sandwiches, etc. I have no interest in going to London all week and then slumming to save pennies, if I'm there I do it properly.

For instance this place came up Landmark Apartments, Short Stay Serviced - Rivington Street, London but I don't really know what the right search terms are.

Thanks for any information and/or recommendations.
    Old Street? Say no more D...

There is a pub in nearby Hoxton and the landladies smack head son serves up smack from behind the bar. Sometimes he falls asleep and people serve themselves free beer. I can PM you the address if you like. You will also come across squat parties around Old Street that are run regularly in disused buildings around there. You can pick up any gear you want in those places, so you should be ok to get blockup in the week.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Yes, related to this thread: http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...-question.html

I have stable work at an acceptable (but nothing special) rate here in the NE which is 95% WFH. I'd only be taking this gig if it pays big.
    Fair does, now I can see why you would be happy working in London for a while, 95% WFH would drive me mad!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    that's after the cost of living/commuting to London? Must be a fair old whack, in which case it makes sense. So far I have not had a role in my line of work which makes it worthwhile to work in London when it comes to £££
    Yes, related to this thread: http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...-question.html

I have stable work at an acceptable (but nothing special) rate here in the NE which is 95% WFH. I'd only be taking this gig if it pays big.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Don't agree. Not shortish term anyway to scoop up a big pile of cash so I can take a year off to work on plan B full-time...
    that's after the cost of living/commuting to London? Must be a fair old whack, in which case it makes sense. So far I have not had a role in my line of work which makes it worthwhile to work in London when it comes to £££

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Staying in London for any significant amount of time, let alone living there/commuting to it every week
    Don't agree. Not shortish term anyway to scoop up a big pile of cash so I can take a year off to work on plan B full-time...

Leave a comment:

• RedSauce
    replied
    Staying in London for any significant amount of time, let alone living there/commuting to it every week
    I disagree - I love living in London during the week and going back to the fresh air of the Essex countryside at the weekend

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Yeah, right.

Ain't worth what?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If I'm found dead in a carpet bag, someone alert admin who to blame.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Good luck doog. I will swing by for a cuppa on my way home sometimes if you take the role.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X