• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working from home/4 days out of 5 etc - when to raise with client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The problem is if you work from home and there are people about i.e. small children and all the couriers .

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
    That's a management issue for you to resolve

I've worked from home for the past three years (with different clients), so my younger child was 4 when I started working from home. She and her elder sister know that they don't come up to the study until after 5pm (they only come up to tell me that tea is ready, unless it's really urgent), and they know that on the days that they are off school that I go upstairs after breakfast to work. They don't expect to interrupt me, although they like to see me at lunch, and it works fine.

On the rare occasions that I need to be doing non-work things for any significant amount of time (parent-teacher meetings, for example) then I think about how I am paid for a professional working day, and feel grateful that I can still see my family on occasion.
    You can't really work from home and look after the kids. Until recently we used to have a nanny who came to the house and looked after the kid when not at nursery(thought 5 days was too much for a 3 year old, so 2 days he stayed at home). That worked perfectly - he knew not to come up to the study too often, but at the same time knew I was always there. And we got to have lunch and shared the odd biscuit in my study during the working day.
    Miss all that now he's gone to school full time, but WFH still means I can get him early and no need for pick-up minders etc.
    WFH when your kids are young is ace - those years are special and you'll never get them back.
    Feel sorry for dads with big commutes TBH.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      I've never actually ask to WFH as a preference.

The problem is if you work from home and there are people about i.e. small children and all the couriers know you are in, you won't get any work done.
      Luckily, no kids. Otherwise it works well for me, but some people hate being on their own all day. I like my house and our street and don't really like people much so being stuck in the house all day is a blessing in my case

The idea of renting a small office locally is interesting though.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Got my own ideas on this but wondered what everyone else has done in the past.
        Generally, if I want a gig I don't push this unless its going to be a showstopper for me. I assume I'm going to be on site mon-fri pretty much 9-5 or slightly longer. If I then get to WFH or whatever then its a bonus.

I'm sure you all know what its like - some places expect you on site 9am - 5.30pm plus, others don't care what hours you do (ie. come in early etc). Can make a huge difference IMHO whether a long distance contract is doable or not.

But, in situation now where theres a gig thats come up that is a bit far from home. My personal situation dictates that Im not going to be able to stay away too often (another story etc). Client has got another office very close to my home.

Tempted to ask before taking the gig whether there is any chance of WFH, other office for day or two a week, flexible hours etc. Might put them off I guess but if they do turn out to be right awkward gits then its going to be showstopper anyway.....

Anyone previous experience?
        The new rules are very clear that you need to report to the job centre every day, so I don't see how you can do that 'from home'.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          The new rules are very clear that you need to report to the job centre every day, so I don't see how you can do that 'from home'.
          Sleep in the doorway of the jobcentre instead of greggs?
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Nicely done!
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You can practice here.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                List X is site based not company based. Even if your company was approved chances are your house wouldn't be..
                That's pretty much what I meant, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                  May I suggest you start a new thread in the professional sub-forums to discuss this particular point in more detail?
                  Been discussed. Wife ill. Not life threatening but debilitating. Difficult for her at the moment looking after 4 month old baby. Which is why I can't really disappear on a monday morning, spent the week nights on the piss, then rock up back home friday evening.... :-)
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Thanks for input all. Surprised that so many have managed to wangle WFH.

Maybe its the type of work I do (mainly support/sys admin) which means clients usually want your face on site. Possible complication here is that its working for a consultancy whos end client is a list X site. Generally, end client is paying consultancy to have person in plain view.....

But WFH is not really something I need. I'd be happy to work from local office few days and go to further office few days. What I can't do at the moment is disappear monday morning and come home friday evening. Even commuting every day would probably mean leaving home 6-30am and then getting home past 8pm. Not so good 5 days a week.

I'm minded to mention this fact to them soon (interview lined up) rather than wait. As someone said, if they say no then I can't do a mon-fri long office hours at their further away office anyway so nothing lost.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      Feel sorry for dads with big commutes TBH.
                      and moi
                      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                      X