• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working from home/4 days out of 5 etc - when to raise with client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    OK, we need one of our little chats. Go and shadow Dodgy for the day. See how he operates. Feel the luxury of the nearly new faux leather seat covers in his Cortina. Then work it out for yourself.
    That's a polite way of putting it.

You can be honest and direct by keeping your mouth shut. Alternatively you can ask a more open question for example graduates and young people are encouraged to ask "What would be a typical working day if I took the job?" That way they are asking in one question:
    1. What the hell will I be doing?
    2. How long will I be doing if for?
    3. When am I expected to start and finish?
    4. Who will I be working with??
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      That's a polite way of putting it.

You can be honest and direct by keeping your mouth shut. Alternatively you can ask a more open question for example graduates and young people are encouraged to ask "What would be a typical working day if I took the job?" That way they are asking in one question:
      1. What the hell will I be doing?
      2. How long will I be doing if for?
      3. When am I expected to start and finish?
      4. Who will I be working with??
      Maybe he's deliberately throwing it to keep the dole office off his back.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Maybe he's deliberately throwing it to keep the dole office off his back.
        At least he is good at something then.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Normally when I have a telephone interview the client will tell me about flexible hours before I even ask. It tends to come up when discussing logistics.
          WSES +1
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

PC seems to miss a fundamental issue. Some skill sets / jobs / clients require people to be on site...

Current clientco is one would love to work from home just not practical so I stay over instead....
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              PC seems to miss a fundamental issue. Some skill sets / jobs / clients require people to be on site...

Current clientco is one would love to work from home just not practical so I stay over instead....
              His family circumstances means he needs to be near home and be flexible.

Maybe he needs to accept a permie job.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Of course. I've found the sweet spot to be 1/3 OFF my on-site rate. Off-site (i.e. I'm on the client's site).
                Spel:

very interesting strategy, and one im going to try out. Although I may artificially increase my on site rate, so that I'm not losing out too much on the rate.

I'm fortunate in the current client co actually approached me (I worked with hiring manager 5 years ago). They needed someone in Scotland but its such a niche area they were willing to let my WFH 70% of the time. I can't tell you what a difference it makes compared to a 1 hour commute into London. I'm now able to train more/harder as I'm getting 8 hours sleep, and avoid getting ill by sharing a carriage with illness spreading computers. Worry is I'm turning into a hermit though!
                "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
                Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Illness spreading commuters not computers!
                  Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by No2politics View Post
                    Spel:

very interesting strategy, and one im going to try out. Although I may artificially increase my on site rate, so that I'm not losing out too much on the rate.

I'm fortunate in the current client co actually approached me (I worked with hiring manager 5 years ago). They needed someone in Scotland but its such a niche area they were willing to let my WFH 70% of the time. I can't tell you what a difference it makes compared to a 1 hour commute into London. I'm now able to train more/harder as I'm getting 8 hours sleep, and avoid getting ill by sharing a carriage with illness spreading computers. Worry is I'm turning into a hermit though!
                    Rate is only important as saying how much you value time at home with family. For me spending time at home with my daughters, taking random mid-day walks in the park - I can't put a price on that. So I don't worry much about dropping a 1/3 off my rate to work from my own office. Besides I'm not spending money on commuting, or hotels, or getting ill.

Pulling it off comes down to how good you're at managing time. I'm terrible and end up with late nights and working weekends. But I will say that as far as the client is concerned, we agree a milestone or SOW and deliver when we say we would. The feedback has always been great. Stay within your milestones, deliver quality. I always go out of my way to show enthusiasm at the time of delivery.

You mention sleep. The one thing I've noticed ever since working from home is how much more sleep I get. As a result my overall health has improved much. Sleep is important, even if I'm not having breakfast by 10am I don't feel guilty about whatsoever.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Rate is only important as saying how much you value time at home with family. For me spending time at home with my daughters, taking random mid-day walks in the park - I can't put a price on that.
                      Absolutely this. Good luck to you compadre. I plan to do the same when/if the time comes
                      Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Working...
                      X