• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working from home/4 days out of 5 etc - when to raise with client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Well didnt get it. Feedback was that they wanted someone local rather than someone who was going to commute. Of course, quite possible that they just made this up and got someone better!

Lesson learnt. Get the feeling the client did sort of get the WFH thing a little confused. Perhaps they had visions of me insisting of fixed days WFH, strolling in at 11am when I travelled from home etc. In reality, I was totally flexible on days and could have been in office at 8am if needs be.....

Oh well. Perhaps 'get them over a barrel and then start humping;' is the best approach!
    If I sense any doubt re commuting, I say that I always stay down for the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      If I sense any doubt re commuting, I say that I always stay down for the week.
      +1

I have yet to find a client say no to WFH once trust established.

Comment

Yeh. Agree but sometimes its impossible to be away mon-fri every week so WFH at least some is necessary.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Yeh. Agree but sometimes its impossible to be away mon-fri every week so WFH at least some is necessary.
          Well it was one way to pre-warn the client before they decide to offer you the contract.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I've changed to a 4 day before, only asked once already in a contract. Also gone from working at site to working at home but think you need to make an impression first.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              I've changed to a 4 day before, only asked once already in a contract. Also gone from working at site to working at home but think you need to make an impression first.
              Oh I am sure he made an impression alright...
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                What about a 3 day week? I'd like to change to that, but am concerned it might annoy the client.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                  What about a 3 day week? I'd like to change to that, but am concerned it might annoy the client.
                  Just in process of this at moment.
                  "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
                  Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by No2politics View Post
                    Just in process of this at moment.
                    I had a client I started with at 5 days per week. Then went to 3 (but with a rate rise), then to 2, then to 1, then to 2 again. Did some work for other clients along the way, But the critical thing was demonstrating my worth in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      I had a client I started with at 5 days per week. Then went to 3 (but with a rate rise), then to 2, then to 1, then to 2 again. Did some work for other clients along the way, But the critical thing was demonstrating my worth in the first place.
                      Yeh. I think this may be the answer.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X