• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

iPhone 5s

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post

Then add to the fact that tehy still sell the 4s for £379, a phone that came out over 2 years ago and yet they still charge a premium price for it....and Muppets still pay it!
    And that alone makes iphones a decent choice. Yes they have a high admission price but you don't loss anymore than you would do with a lot cheaper phone...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Actually for what its worth the fingerprint scanner lasted the lifespan of the handset. My point is yet again Apple are doing something another company did and passing it off as revolutionary. !
      From what I understand Apple are the first to produce a fingerprint scanner that uses radio waves to scan under the dermal layers so as to achieve a quality print. Now that's innovative, and that's selling.

Scanners of the past were optical and plagued with problems from dirt and so on. That's why the Sellotape scam does not work when trying to circumvent the phone, you have to set a lifted print in latex or silicon.

As for build quality - how many iphones do you see with smashed screens? The 3 was notorious for its screen breaking and the 4 is little better. But they do everything better than everybody else.
      This is a perfect example of why we've a failing industry in reliability & quality. We don't even know what they are!

If a stone chipped your car's windscreen would you complain to the manufacturer? Of course not. Because it's not a reliability issue. I'm fairly certain a function of the phone did not include dropping it.

But they do everything better than everybody else!
      It's true, that's why RIM is going under.

Look at the dodgy ariel on the 4, the non functioning maps and their latest OS 'upgrade'

Your holding the wrong way, din't you get the e-mail from Steve?

Maps in IOS7 is not function? I've just tried it and can confirm it does work.

Then add to the fact that tehy still sell the 4s for £379, a phone that came out over 2 years ago and yet they still charge a premium price for it....and Muppets still pay it!
      Because they can. Quality sells. I'll sell you my old iPhone 4, £350. Unlocked for any provider.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        And I bloody well refuse to dump my trusty 'old' iPad 1 as it's perfect for my use.

So they'll just have to leave me behind on OS 5.1.1 - I waved happliy as the OS 6 train went past and I don't miss it.
        iPad 1->2 gap is really quite significant in terms of processing grunt. Same with 2->3, but the iPad1 looks VERY slow in comparison to a 2. Reviews of the 2 talked about how this was quite noticeable using the UI... and my iOS app can't target iPad1 because the graphics are so terribly slow.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          From what I understand Apple are the first to produce a fingerprint scanner that uses radio waves to scan under the dermal layers so as to achieve a quality print. Now that's innovative, and that's selling.

Scanners of the past were optical and plagued with problems from dirt and so on. That's why the Sellotape scam does not work when trying to circumvent the phone, you have to set a lifted print in latex or silicon.

This is a perfect example of why we've a failing industry in reliability & quality. We don't even know what they are!

If a stone chipped your car's windscreen would you complain to the manufacturer? Of course not. Because it's not a reliability issue. I'm fairly certain a function of the phone did not include dropping it.

It's true, that's why RIM is going under.

Your holding the wrong way, din't you get the e-mail from Steve?

Maps in IOS7 is not function? I've just tried it and can confirm it does work.

Because they can. Quality sells. I'll sell you my old iPhone 4, £350. Unlocked for any provider.
          How it does the scanning is different and probably better, but it still comes down to using fingerprint recognition to access the phone. That is what they were trumping as being something new and innovative. My point is that it has been done before.

As for the cost - it does not effect me as I don't buy underspecced and over priced products simply because they look a bit nice.

The point about Maps was that maps had problems when it was first released. The 4 had problems relating to its design when first released. The latest OS had problems when first released, even though they only have a coupe of handsets to develop for. The point is, they don't really do things better. They just have the media image that they do.

Relating to the screen, you should make a device to cope with how it will be used in the real world. That means it should be able to withstand a reasonable amount of abuse. Given the number of iphones you see with broken screens, this is obviously something that apple do not do. But why would they when they know that they can sell you another 2 year old phone for a premium price.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I've never seen a phone with a smashed screen. If you buy a very expensive gadget and don't treat it with care, that's not the manufacturer's fault. If I dropped my old Sony Walkman or my laptop on the tiled kitchen floor, I doubt that would go well either.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

How it does the scanning is different and probably better, but it still comes down to using fingerprint recognition to access the phone. That is what they were trumping as being something new and innovative. My point is that it has been done before.
              Agreed the idea is not new. But no one could make work before otherwise it would have taken off. What they've done here is new and innovative. Now it's taking off.

As for the cost - it does not effect me as I don't buy underspecced and over priced products simply because they look a bit nice.
              Quality is not something everyone of us understands. What you can and can't afford is something you should discuss with sas.

The point about Maps was that maps had problems when it was first released. The 4 had problems relating to its design when first released. The latest OS had problems when first released, even though they only have a coupe of handsets to develop for. The point is, they don't really do things better. They just have the media image that they do.
              Is that the entire case? Any closing arguments against the most innovative company for 9 years in a row?

Apple yet again is most-innovative company, leading Samsung and Google

Relating to the screen, you should make a device to cope with how it will be used in the real world. That means it should be able to withstand a reasonable amount of abuse. Given the number of iphones you see with broken screens, this is obviously something that apple do not do. But why would they when they know that they can sell you another 2 year old phone for a premium price.
              I've yet to see a broken screen. But if there are all over I'm sure I'll see one soon.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

I've yet to see a broken screen. But if there are all over I'm sure I'll see one soon.
                My wifes is smashed beyond belief.
                She pissed on phone number 1, paid £180 to get it replaced, then dropped phone number 2 about a month later.
                Mullered.

Comment

Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
                  She pissed on phone number 1
                  Ummm... accidently, or trying to mark it as her own territory and scare off other women?

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                    Ummm... accidently, or trying to mark it as her own territory and scare off other women?
                    It was a drunken accident. I moaned about it here a few months back, I think in MP's "minor irritations" thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                      or trying to mark it as her own territory and scare off other women?
                      You've got to feel a bit sorry for rhubarb if it's the case

Comment

Working...
                      X