• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another reason to cut benefits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You get veg on offer all the time.

Also, the basics are not expensive. ‘Below The Line’ Budget Recipes « A GIRL CALLED JACK

I know people who have a weekly shopping budget for groceries of £10 for the two of them, and cook from scratch.
    After a redudancy with no payout my wife and I were surviving on £10 a week for groceries. And this was from Tesco, using a mix of cheapy blue-strip and regular items. It's not all that difficult. Sure, my limited cooking skills led to some repetition, but it's doable. 1 big dish (like macaroni cheese or a meatloaf) will last 2 or three days, supplemented by things like veg risotto, pasta, chilli, etc, gets you through the week.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
      Paid for by you and I by the vast subsidies that keep prices here high and subsidise the prices of exports. I seem to recall a story once where rich farmers in Africa were going bust due to cheap imports of subsidised American rice.

The system is broken.
      No and yes. No, the subsidies keep our prices low but we end up paying more in ludicrous high tax rates. Yes, the system's broken.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Simply put, not matter how cheap you could live healthy, I could live cheaper unhealthier, and I think that's the problem.

If you look at the price of filth in supermarkets against the price of healthy stuff, that's evident.

Around this part of the work, this time of year is interesting, as all sorts of produce is put outside houses for sale. Yesterday, saw 3 lbs toms, 2 cucumbers, a jar of pickled onions, a large cabbage, 2 courgettes and 6 duck eggs for £4.50.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
          I'd like to see welfare claimants work in their local parish on projects likely to enhance their area i.e. clearing scrubland, making the parks better, street cleaning, small DIY things. Things that they could actively benefit from in their local community. You get the bonus of working, and doing something good, which would keep the spirits higher. I'd also opt for a two tier system; #1 Breadline, for those who don't wish to participate in the work, and #2 Higher for those who do.
          Agreed, there are a lot of projects that wouldn't cost a lot or displace workers.

just getting them out working would remove a lot of the fraud which I suspect is endemic.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Agreed, there are a lot of projects that wouldn't cost a lot or displace workers.

just getting them out working would remove a lot of the fraud which I suspect is endemic.
            You'd certainly reduce the pool of suspects.

I think it would benefit any parish to get people giving it a lick and spit to be honest. Planting trees, painting benches, clearing little, etc, etc etc

Comment

I think it would benefit any parish to get people giving it a lick and spit to be honest.
              You can't make them work in glory holes, even if they are adapted confession booths.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                how do you work that out?

£6.19 * 40 = £247 a week 3 months a year. Should pay for the wife & kids to live in a shoebox in the south east and eat once a month.

Mate of mine worked out he needed to be on > £8 an hour to be better off in work. He actually is a very hard worker and wanted to work.

The financial side is important as is the work ethic side.
                The problem can be easily solved by employing half a dozen well paid girls to pick the fruit naked. There will be a queue of volunteers to help.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  The problem can be easily solved by employing half a dozen well paid girls to pick the fruit naked. There will be a queue of volunteers hoping to have their plums harvested.
                  FTFY
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

You'd certainly reduce the pool of suspects.

I think it would benefit any parish to get people giving it a lick and spit to be honest. Planting trees, painting benches, clearing little, etc, etc etc
                    problem is that is what people do when sentenced to community service. How would you go about making that look like something else for the unemployed?
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      problem is that is what people do when sentenced to community service. How would you go about making that look like something else for the unemployed?
                      Orange jumpsuits and a ball & chain?

Comment

Working...
                      X