• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another reason to cut benefits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd argue that food prices are artificially high due to vast farm subsidies by Europe and USA mainly. I'd wager that Food produced in Africa could be shipped here and still be cheaper that food grown here without subsidies.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
      I agree, it's ludicrous if people can get more money by not working than by working - I can't see any justification for JSA exceeding 37.5 hours at NWM. By the way, it doesn't. Of course, there are people who wouldn't dream of going out and doing physical labour, even if it means more money, if they can survive comfortably while sitting on their arses.
      It's not just JSA, add in council tax, housing benefit, free prescriptions, free school meals, cheap lesiure centre membership etc
      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
        I can't see any justification for JSA exceeding 37.5 hours at NWM. By the way, it doesn't.
        JSA isn't the only benefit. If you are getting housing benefit, this is far more and that isn't one you'd want to lose... especially since it typically takes the council months to sort it out when you claim. Coming off DSS for 2 months to work means you might not get it again for 4 months, and 2 months' rent on no income is a pretty desperate scenario.

If you're set up on full benefits, you need to be fairly happy the work on offer is going to last.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
          I'd argue that food prices are artificially high due to vast farm subsidies by Europe and USA mainly. I'd wager that Food produced in Africa could be shipped here and still be cheaper that food grown here without subsidies.
          No, they're artificially low for many products; both broiler chicken and meat chicken farmers in Africa are going bust due to cheap factory farm imports from Europe. Some veg is grown cheaply in Africa, especially Tanzania, Uganda and Sout Africa; Zimbabwe use to export a lot of food and was in fact known as the bread basket of Africa until Bob Mugabe decided to ruin the place. Nigeria is now stepping up production by attracting farmers who've given up in Zim.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
            Food prices of lardy stuff(chocolate, burgers, nuggets etc.) are cheap. Healthy stuff and basics(lettuce, bread, milk) are very expensive.

When have you ever seen 2 for 1 on cos?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              No, they're artificially low for many products; both broiler chicken and meat chicken farmers in Africa are going bust due to cheap factory farm imports from Europe. Some veg is grown cheaply in Africa, especially Tanzania, Uganda and Sout Africa; Zimbabwe use to export a lot of food and was in fact known as the bread basket of Africa until Bob Mugabe decided to ruin the place. Nigeria is now stepping up production by attracting farmers who've given up in Zim.
              Paid for by you and I by the vast subsidies that keep prices here high and subsidise the prices of exports. I seem to recall a story once where rich farmers in Africa were going bust due to cheap imports of subsidised American rice.

The system is broken.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

the reality is that the vast majority of short term (<12 months) unemployed just need to be left alone or lightly assisted to get a job.
                Those over 12 months need retraining and assistance to become confident enough to get a job.
                Those over 24 months need to be forced back to work in some way.

this is for run of the mill claimants, the sick need different handling, not necessarily AToS(Sers).

However workfare can be used as cheap labour so we need to avoid that.

Even Polly said that workfare halved the claimants. We need that because we have too many.

I don't see fruit picking as a good workfare job, they need to be non profit organisations to avoid suggestions of abuse. Hopefully though if we get benefits right and avoid imported labour undercutting fruit picking will become attractive again. Or it will go away by using better technology.

And no you don't get the benefits the other 9 months, you took work so you have to wait the requisite period, wait for the claim to be handled etc. Also you may have to fight to get all your benefits back. Taking a job is made to be a huge risk when entrenched on benefits to stop rich people claiming when their contract ends.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

yes in Lidl. Don't put all the blame on farmers the supermarkets see fresh food as very profitable.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I'd like to see welfare claimants work in their local parish on projects likely to enhance their area i.e. clearing scrubland, making the parks better, street cleaning, small DIY things. Things that they could actively benefit from in their local community. You get the bonus of working, and doing something good, which would keep the spirits higher. I'd also opt for a two tier system; #1 Breadline, for those who don't wish to participate in the work, and #2 Higher for those who do.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Food prices of lardy stuff(chocolate, burgers, nuggets etc.) are cheap. Healthy stuff and basics(lettuce, bread, milk) are very expensive.

You get veg on offer all the time.

Also, the basics are not expensive. ‘Below The Line’ Budget Recipes « A GIRL CALLED JACK

I know people who have a weekly shopping budget for groceries of £10 for the two of them, and cook from scratch.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X