• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best car for £1K?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Because accidents are expensive and 50% of 18 year olds have an accident in the first year.

The apprentices at clientco are paying £1000-1500 if female, £2000+ if male. In all cases it has to be paid up front as they can't get credit for that amount
    If so many 18 year olds are having accidents in the first year of driving, is there some problem with the driver training? OK, a higher percentage than among experienced drivers is perhaps to be expected, and some young folks do silly things, but 50% of them can't be completely irresponsible.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
      That sounds like a load of hairy old b0llocks to me.
      Sadly not. But I can't give the apprentice my keyboard to confirm the fact as he's a bit busy making me a tea at the moment.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Sadly not. But I can't give the apprentice my keyboard to confirm the fact as he's a bit busy making me a tea at the moment.
        Is he insured to operate a kettle?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

The kids [kids! I feel SO OLD!] my mate teaches at college are all paying ridiculous monthly amounts for their car insurance - none of them paid up front. He was astounded at what some of them drive.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
            Whatever he goes for his insurance will be far more than the car is worth.

It would probably work out more economic to find a dealership that is peddling free three years of insurance with their small cars...

I know one of them was doing a just add petrol deal...
            Think those deals exclude under 21's, maybe even under 25's. They don't give that much money away.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
              I'm assuming you're old. Quite old, anyway. Yes?

I think my first car cost about £100, 14 years ago. A beige metro that I loved dearly. It cost, I think, about £900 to insure.
              Oi less of the old Although I did buy buy my first car in the late 80s.
              So if 50% of kids are having accidents now, then it confirms my theory that cretinism has risen in the UK in the last 30-odd years.
              Its quite an odd phenomenon - but I guess that's how countries decline through decadence.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

wanna pay my insurance instead? itll be cheaper

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Oi less of the old Although I did buy buy my first car in the late 80s.
                  So if 50% of kids are having accidents now, then it confirms my theory that cretinism has risen in the UK in the last 30-odd years.
                  Its quite an odd phenomenon - but I guess that's how countries decline through decadence.
                  The roads are much more crowded now than 30 years ago. Also, these days cars are much lighter, which I'm sure contributes to a lot of prangs when young people used to tootling about on their own try driving for the first time with heavy loads or passengers.

IMHO, the latter is the usual reason for those tragic cases when a car full of students is found wrapped round a tree near a sharp bend. I seriously think people should have a couple of driving lessons with four hundredweight of stone-filled sacks in the boot and on the back seat!
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Whatever car he buys for £1k I expect he will need a couple of hundred to get it through it's first MOT test.

I have to wonder what kind of parent lets an 18 year old lad buy a car for £1k when the insurance companys expect to have an accident within the first two years. A £1k car is likely to be a death trap in it's own right let alone the high risk driver behind the wheel.

Toyota Aygo (or similar) 8k new, insurance paid for the first 2 years. 3 year lease with some servicing through win. £154 a month. F**k 1k cars...

But you know all that already and didn't really want to know.....
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Whatever car he buys for £1k I expect he will need a couple of hundred to get it through it's first MOT test.

I have to wonder what kind of parent lets an 18 year old lad buy a car for £1k when the insurance companys expect to have an accident within the first two years. A £1k car is likely to be a death trap in it's own right let alone the high risk driver behind the wheel.

Toyota Aygo (or similar) 8k new, insurance paid for the first 2 years. 3 year lease with some servicing through win. £154 a month. F**k 1k cars...

But you know all that already and didn't really want to know.....
                      I doubt any car company gives free insurance to an 18 year old.

A couple of lease companies did but I'll let the font of all knowledge find them himself
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X