• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Networking at pubs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kurzon View Post
    It is not trolling, why did he make a post like this to make fun of me? Why not call him out on it? I responded in an equal manner...

I thought posts were supposed to be kept on topic. Okay so maybe the thread is a bit silly, but I needed to know and there have been some good advice.

Wasn't employed there. Also, Poe's law.
    This is general. It is not a professional forum.

Did you not read the warning in the forum description before you posted this thread.....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Okay, thanks to everyone that posted something relevant.

I will stop making these types of threads on topics that I'm genuinely clueless and aren't taken seriously to learn anything from. Last thing I need is to be labelled troll... when all I wanted to know was your experience from professional working relationship to something informal and how it happened.
      Contractor = prostitute. We sell ourselves to the highest bidder, lie on our backs and and take whatever's coming because at the end of the day we're laughing all the way to the bank. Like an aged harlot we know all the best tricks and don't take to kindly to the new dog in town

Agent = pimp. They do **** all apart from collect a tithe from their bitches which they squander on watches that kill cats and hair gel. Their only active role is in finding johns and once one has been procured then they're out...until repeat business is required.

If you really want to know more then: Common Sex Trafficking Language
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Contractor = prostitute. We sell ourselves to the highest bidder, lie on our backs and and take whatever's coming because at the end of the day we're laughing all the way to the bank. Like an aged harlot we know all the best tricks and don't take to kindly to the new dog in town

Agent = pimp. They do **** all apart from collect a tithe from their bitches which they squander on watches that kill cats and hair gel. Their only active role is in finding johns and once one has been procured then they're out...until repeat business is required.

If you really want to know more then: Common Sex Trafficking Language
        Are you trying to say that job seekers fall into the traps of agents who are only in it for themselves? And contractors bypass all of that?

I know that not all the recruiters are truthful, I have calls from some that I didn't give my number and they said they've found my CV then we have a chat about various things and a potential job... but they never call back after the first contact.
        I have finished my studies and I'm looking for work. If anyone's interested:

- I make excellent coffee.
        - I'm ethically flexible. Very open-minded.
        - I live within my means, no financial risks, no gambling.
        - I don't have a religion, so no sneaky conversion attempts.
        - I buy the first round.
        - Easily adaptable to new groups, environments... go with the flow type.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          This is general. It is not a professional forum.

Did you not read the warning in the forum description before you posted this thread.....
          On most forums spamming is usually against the rules, I thought it'd be the same here. No I'll read it now.

EDIT: I don't see any Warning thread here??
          Last edited by Kurzon; 26 August 2013, 18:22.

- I buy the first round.

Comment

I got my best ever gig in a pub. I just bumped into someone who I had worked with before and said "we are looking for a guy with your skills - how much does it take to get you out of your current gig?".

Comment

On most forums spamming is usually against the rules, I thought it'd be the same here. No I'll read it now.
              What it means is that in professional forums we are polite and (usually) helpful.

General is where we kill time posting rubbish or taking the Mickey out of each other. We don't need to be polite so I can call Someone a clueless wet behind the ears useless wannabe f**kwit if I want to.

Kurzon you are a clueless wet behind the ears useless wannabe f**kwit.

Now go and use milkround and other similar sites build up a cv with a few success stories and come back here in 8 years when you can walk the walk and have a reputation that proves it
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I got my best ever gig in a pub. I just bumped into someone who I had worked with before and said "we are looking for a guy with your skills - how much does it take to get you out of your current gig?".
                Thank you! This is what I was looking for.

Originally posted by eek View Post
                What it means is that in professional forums we are polite and (usually) helpful.

General is where we kill time posting rubbish or taking the Mickey out of each other. We don't need to be polite so I can call Someone a clueless wet behind the ears useless wannabe f**kwit if I want to.

Kurzon you are a clueless wet behind the ears useless wannabe f**kwit.

Now go and use milkround and other similar sites build up a cv with a few success stories and come back here in 8 years when you can walk the walk and have a reputation that proves it
                Well I don't care about swearing or offensive language, especially if it's deserving, truthful and/or helpful.

I completely forgot about Milkround!

- I buy the first round.

Comment

EDIT: I don't see any Warning thread here??
                  Most of them are, albeit in a dried head on a pole kind of way.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I was offered my best ever gig in a pub. Top dollar and the agent bought me beer till three in the morning, then back to mine till I fell asleep on the couch

When I woke up he was gone, never heard about the gig again and he still owes me £50. Plus I must have had a dodgy pint because my @rse was killing me for a week afterwards...still never mind, no one said networking in pubs was going to be easy

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Are you trying to say that job seekers fall into the traps of agents who are only in it for themselves? And contractors bypass all of that?
                      No.

Comment

Working...
                      X