• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Networking at pubs?"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    If all posters displayed such a level of self-awareness, there would be no cretins to mock and that would make CUK a very sad place.
    True. Every silver lining has its cloud

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    If only other posters here displayed such a level of self awareness.
    If all posters displayed such a level of self-awareness, there would be no cretins to mock and that would make CUK a very sad place.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Worth resurrecting the thread if only for this absolute corker from doodab (RIP):

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Originally posted by Kurzon View Post
    EDIT: I don't see any Warning thread here??
    Most of them are, albeit in a dried head on a pole kind of way.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I haven't bothered to update my signature. I'll just leave it there. I finally understand what everyone else was going on about and I cringe at my posts.
    If only other posters here displayed such a level of self awareness.

Leave a comment:

• Kurzon
    replied
    I have also done both contracting and perm work, so I'm familiar with both. I've gone the LTD (this was very scary for me thrown in the deep end, looking back) and also Umbrella route - but last couple years it's been perm. I'm currently applying for other roles. Most of my roles have been as senior PHP dev (APIs and back-end focused apps usually).

Leave a comment:

• Kurzon
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    You're over 6 months too early.

And it look like the main skill you've learned in that time is making coffee.
    I haven't bothered to update my signature. I'll just leave it there. I finally understand what everyone else was going on about and I cringe at my posts.

Leave a comment:

• Kurzon
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post
    So what have you done in the seven years since you last posted on this thread??
    Skills and experience cover:

- Setting up servers from scratch on cloud infrastructure platforms e.g. Digital Ocean (also some AWS). CDNs, firewalls, managed DB cluster, backups etc.
    - Using CI tools e.g. CircleCI to setup build pipelines and automate deployments i.e. PRs on branches of GitHub repos trigger web hook to Slack channel notification and also deploy the code to the servers.
    - Repeat above process for development environment and production environment
    - PHP frameworks, e.g. Laravel, API development, back-end work, JWT, OAuth 2 etc.
    - MySQL databases, managed DB cluster
    - Some javascript and libraries e.g. VueJS and Angular, but I hate front-end work...

I wanna get into AWS more, terraform, cloud formation, Ansible etc. so that I can just save time and automate the whole damn thing because it's very tedious managing servers and spinning up new ones and configuring them.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Thanks - I ended up following your advice after all.

And it look like the main skill you've learned in that time is making coffee.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    So what have you done in the seven years since you last posted on this thread??

Leave a comment:

• Kurzon
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    What it means is that in professional forums we are polite and (usually) helpful.

General is where we kill time posting rubbish or taking the Mickey out of each other. We don't need to be polite so I can call Someone a clueless wet behind the ears useless wannabe f**kwit if I want to.

Kurzon you are a clueless wet behind the ears useless wannabe f**kwit.

Now go and use milkround and other similar sites build up a cv with a few success stories and come back here in 8 years when you can walk the walk and have a reputation that proves it

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Are you trying to say that job seekers fall into the traps of agents who are only in it for themselves? And contractors bypass all of that?
    No.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I was offered my best ever gig in a pub. Top dollar and the agent bought me beer till three in the morning, then back to mine till I fell asleep on the couch

When I woke up he was gone, never heard about the gig again and he still owes me £50. Plus I must have had a dodgy pint because my @rse was killing me for a week afterwards...still never mind, no one said networking in pubs was going to be easy

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    EDIT: I don't see any Warning thread here??
    Most of them are, albeit in a dried head on a pole kind of way.

Leave a comment:

• Kurzon
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I got my best ever gig in a pub. I just bumped into someone who I had worked with before and said "we are looking for a guy with your skills - how much does it take to get you out of your current gig?".
    Thank you! This is what I was looking for.

Originally posted by eek View Post
    What it means is that in professional forums we are polite and (usually) helpful.

General is where we kill time posting rubbish or taking the Mickey out of each other. We don't need to be polite so I can call Someone a clueless wet behind the ears useless wannabe f**kwit if I want to.

Kurzon you are a clueless wet behind the ears useless wannabe f**kwit.

Now go and use milkround and other similar sites build up a cv with a few success stories and come back here in 8 years when you can walk the walk and have a reputation that proves it
    Well I don't care about swearing or offensive language, especially if it's deserving, truthful and/or helpful.

I completely forgot about Milkround!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X