• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Lone Ranger.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Gosh.

Actually managed to watch a film.

"Point Blank" - Lee Marvin - John Boorman, 1967.

Fairly brainburned, but quite enjoyable.

Didn't realise that the Mel Gibson "Payback" was taken from the same source, this being "The Hunter" by Richard Stark (a.k.a. Donald E. Westlake).
    To ressurect an old post, I can also recommend Grosse Point Blank.

Nothing to do with the Lee Marvin film, but still very good
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I watched Under the Skin last night. It was very odd

Comment

My next one to watch is The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Comment

Tonight's filmic epic was "Two Rode Together", Jimmy Stewart, Richard Widmark & Shirley Jones, Director John Ford.

It was ok ish.

1961 Western.

Definitely not a classic.
          I wonder what his nickname at school was?

Comment

I finally got around to watching Blade Runner a couple of nights ago.

It's really rather good

It appears the version I bought is The Final Cut, which (if Wikipedia is to be believed) should really be called "The Director's Cut That The Director Actually Made Himself Rather Than A Cut That Was Foisted On Him By The Studio".

Just watched the first couple of episodes of season 2 of Oz. It's a good series: it doesn't necessarily have quite as much going for it out of the blocks as something like The Wire, The Sopranos, or Breaking Bad; but you can see that it did much of the groundwork of opening up possibilities for US non-broadcast TV networks to cross boundaries that had remained pretty much unchanged since the 1950s. (US broadcast TV networks are still shackled by such antiquated regulations, which is why they get fined millions of dollars when a pop singer's nipple accidentally shows for about a tenth of a second in a live broadcast of a sporting event. It's also why they can't compete with cable broadcasters like HBO and are thus doomed.)

Comment

Is the version of BR the one with or without the narration?

The one I enjoyed most recently was the workprint which was in the tin box mugs special.
              No narration, extra violence, more unicorn, no happy ending: Blade Runner (1982) - Alternate Versions - IMDb

Comment

I watched the worst action picture ever the other night.

It stunk. really stunk

Rambo III

shockingly sh1te
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I liked charlie Varrick
                  and
                  Silent Partner

I never met anyone who saw silent partner, but its one of the best movies I ever saw.
                  very clever
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

Saw Charley Varrick half a lifetime ago, good film.

Never heard of the other one.
                    heh. check it out, but avoid any spoilers.

mind you, you might need them spoilers later. I thought it was brilliant, but the spoilers made me realise it was even brillianter
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

This evening's filmic extravaganza was "Tough Guys" - 1986 fish out of water thingie starring Kirk Douglas & Burt Lancaster.

Robbed a train in 1956, got caught, spent 30 years in pokey, got parole, got shot at by Eli Wallach as a myopic hit man & stole the train again.

Fairly amusing.

Especially for the horrendous 1980s fashions.

The 1950s suits looked much better.
                      Earlier this year I found a pile of old episodes of The Thriller on Youtube.

These were originally broadcast in my student years when I didn't watch much telly, so I'd never seen them before.

70s clothes, some loverly cars, and some pretty awful haircuts. The Yanks* scored well on the bad haircuts.

Unfortunately the copyright owner pulled 'em from Youtube before I'd got through all of them.

Which does raise a hope they'll be re-released commercially.

* Yanks in every episode, presumably because they sold it over there
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X